WeBWorK Main Forum

Submit Answers button has disappeared for all my students

Submit Answers button has disappeared for all my students

by Marc Renault -
Number of replies: 5
I made my first HW assignment available to students yesterday, and many of them logged in and started making progess. This afternoon, it seems that the "Submit Answers" button has mysteriously disappeared from all my students' problem pages. I double-checked the due date and it's not until tomorrow.

I'm using the servers hosted by the MAA.

Any thoughts? Thanks,
Marc
In reply to Marc Renault

Re: Submit Answers button has disappeared for all my students

by Marc Renault -
One more thing: At one point while the homework was open and available to students, I extended the due date by one day. Am I allowed to change the due date while a homework is active? Could that action have caused the Submit Answers button to disappear?
Marc
In reply to Marc Renault

by Marc Renault -
Yet another update...

My students today told me that they have no "Check Answers" button, they only have a "Submit Answers" button. That's fine, but I was just confused because when I act as a student, my view shows a "Check Answers" button but no "Submit Answers" button.

I guess this will just take some getting used to...
Marc
In reply to Marc Renault

by Andras Balogh -
When I edit students, the permission level menu shows "guest" by default, even if it should be "student" based on the previous value. I usually forget to change it to student, and then save it as guest. This results in the submit button not showing up.
In reply to Marc Renault

by Michael Gage -
This is a "feature" -- it prevents you from accidentally entering an answer for a student and muddying the record of past student answers (something which is hard to undo). It often happens when you are acting as a student that you want to test whether WeBWorK is handling the answer checking correctly but you don't want to interfere with the students record or their grade on the problem.

Does this completely resolve the issue you raised earlier? Was it that the submit answer button had been replaced by a check answer button?

-- Mike

In reply to Michael Gage

by Marc Renault -
Thanks, Mike. Yes, this makes sense now. The students saw me demonstrate in class where I had a "Check" button, then they got confused when they didn't see one (and then I got confused when I didn't see "Submit"!) But it's all good now.

Thanks for the help!
Marc