Installation

Initialize database on new installation

Initialize database on new installation

by Steve Garcia -
Number of replies: 1
OK, I've installed WeBWork on a test server, and as far as I can tell it went fairly smoothly. However, I did not initialize the database, and the documentation on how to do that did not seem to match reality. It's possible that the SVN version (which is what I used) differs from what the documentation expects.

The docs tell me to use the webwork2/bin/wwdb_upgrade script to initialize the database, however that file does not exist. There is a webwork2/bin/old_scripts/wwwdb_upgrade script, but when I try to execute it I get errors.

Can't locate object method "connect" via package "DBI" (perhaps you forgot to load "DBI"?) at /usr/local/webwork/webwork2//lib/WeBWorK/Utils/DBUpgrade.pm line 313.
Use of uninitialized value in subroutine entry at /usr/local/webwork/webwork2//lib/WeBWorK/Utils/DBUpgrade.pm line 330.
(in cleanup) Can't use string ("") as a subroutine ref while "strict refs" in use at /usr/local/webwork/webwork2//lib/WeBWorK/Utils/DBUpgrade.pm line 330.

Is there a SQL file somewhere that will create the database?

Or did I catch the SVN version in between working versions?
In reply to Steve Garcia

Re: Initialize database on new installation

by Arnold Pizer -
Hi Steve,

The most recent installation documentation is at http://webwork.maa.org/wiki/Installation_Manual_for_2.4_on_Ubuntu_10.04. I think it is up to date. We will update the other installation documentation when things are really finalized which I hope is the current situation.

You are correct that the database initialization has been in flux. It now occurs automatically when you first access the admin course (which you have to do before you can do anything else). If you view problems in images mode (the default) and do not get an error about a missing depths table, then everything should be OK. I assume this is the case for you otherwise you would be reporting errors.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Arnie