WeBWorK Problems

"entered" gone "answer preview" "result" remains

"entered" gone "answer preview" "result" remains

by Nandor Sieben -
Number of replies: 4
I am trying to port the problem at

http://webwork.maa.org/viewvc/npl/branches/NAU/setFunctionBasicGraphs/

to the latest version of webwork. I was surprised to see that the "entered" field disappeared from the submission result. When did this happen? It is still there in Version 2.4.5.

This is a bit of a problem because I have a lot of pg files that create a picture based on student input and displays the picture in the "entered" field.

What is the fix?
In reply to Nandor Sieben

Re: "entered" gone "answer preview" "result" remains

by Michael Gage -
The raw data from the entered field appears when you hover over the "Answer Preview" field (and also when you have the mouse hover over the "Correct Answer" field when you are an instructor. ).

I don't know if this will work if you have entered graphics. I'll take a look at your problem as soon as I can and see what alternatives I can suggest.

We removed the "enter" field to save screen real estate since its function had been replaced by the "tool tips" that appear when hovering.

If necessary we can put the "enter" field back -- it hasn't gone far. :-)

-- Mike
In reply to Michael Gage

by Nandor Sieben -
The tool tips feature does not seem to work for me. I am using the latest chrome browser. Do I need to turn on something in the browser for this?

The problem displays a function graph and the student needs to figure out the formula for it. The student enters text. Then evaluator creates a graph from this input and the student should see this picture at submission. This way the student can see whether the graph of the entered function matches the original.
So this feature is needed for the student not for the instructor.

The graph theory problems use this feature as well. Students enter edge lists and the info is used to create a graph. The students then can see if the graph is connected, Hamiltonian, etc.

It would be just as good to put the figure into the "answer preview" field if that's better. I think this was not possible when this pg file was created a long time ago. The only issue with this is backward compatibility so the pg files need to be changed.

In reply to Nandor Sieben

by Arnold Pizer -
Hi,

I'm one of those instructors who wants students to automatically see the numerical value of their answers so the "Entered" column is important to me.

I have now made displaying or not displaying the "Entered" column something an instructor can configure in "Course Configuration".  Having it there will hopefully give this option more visibility.

To enable this, use svn to update from trunk  Problem.pm (in /opt/webwork/webwork2/lib/WeBWorK/ContentGenerator/), Constants.pm (in /opt/webwork/webwork2/lib/WeBWorK/) and global.conf.dist (in /opt/webwork/webwork2/conf/).

Arnie