WeBWorK Problems

checkbox_table warning message

checkbox_table warning message

by Nandor Sieben -
Number of replies: 5
I have the a version of the following warning message about 50 times

Use of uninitialized value $bHTML in concatenation (.) or string at line 118 of (eval 4294)

with the problem

http://webwork.maa.org/viewvc/npl/branches/NAU/setGraphTheory/IsTree.pg?view=log

on a latest Version 2.5.0beta Branch: system/trunk/webwork2 system.

The warning messages are not there on Version 2.4.5 Branch: rel-2-4-patches.

I believe it's caused by the checkbox_table command. Did the syntax of this
command change?

In reply to Nandor Sieben

Re: checkbox_table warning message

by Nandor Sieben -
It turns out that checkbox_table is a macro in PGnauGraphics.pl. I should have known this, but it was a long time ago. This macro calls AlignedRow() in unionTables.pl. I do see variables like $bhtml and also $bHTML in unionTables.pl so I suspect the problem might be there. Is unionTables.pl still an up to date macro file that's ok to use? Could $bhtml and $bHTML be the same but misspelled variables?

union tables

by Nandor Sieben -
I added $bhtml=$ehtml=''; at the beginning of BeginTable() and AlignedRow()
and I changed the variables $?HTML to $?html. This cured all the warnings I
had.

So I am pretty sure something like this is needed in union tables. Davide, could
you verify this.

by Michael Gage -
I originally thought this might be a misspelling, but I don't think it is.
It seems to be used only when calling LatexToHTML which we no longer support.
I think the purpose was to place the correct symbols around HTML code so that LatexToHTML would leave it alone and not try to push that code through TeX.

Setting $bHTML and $eHTML to empty strings will work fine for now -- you should never see any difference. I think we should simply strip the code referring to the LatexToHTML mode out of the macro files. That will get rid
of the problem permanently.

-- Mike

In reply to Michael Gage

by Davide Cervone -
The $bHTML and $eHTML variables are defined in unionMacros.pl. I think a better solution than setting them in unionTables.pl is to add loadMacros("unionMacros.pl") to unionTables.pl (and unionLists.pl) so that they have access to the definitions they need. All the Union macro files were intended to be used along with unionMacros.pl.

You are right that the old LaTeX_HTML mode material should be removed.