WeBWorK Problems

how to turn off messages

how to turn off messages

by Siman Wong -
Number of replies: 3
One of the problems I'm working on asks students to enter a list of numbers. If a student enters a list that contains an incorrect, answer, upon clicking "submit answer" WebWork would report back with an message like this:

Entered: (the list entered by the student)

Answer Preview: (tex-ed version of the student's answer)

Result: 92% correct (for example)

QUESTION#1: Is it possible to NOT display this last message? A sufficiently industrious student could reverse engineer the correct answer from such error message, especially for problems

QUESTION#2: In general, is it possible to NOT show the "result" message for each individual input, and instead gives an overall message like "at least one of your answer is incorrect/all of your answers are correct"? I have several problems where the students need to enter a bunch of Y/N; I would like to give the students more than one attempt, but without WebWork giving out the answer to individual answer when they click "submit".

THANKS!

In reply to Siman Wong

Re: how to turn off messages

by Jason Aubrey -
Hi Siman,

I think the answer evaluator techniques explained here:

http://webwork.maa.org/wiki/WeightedGrader

accomplish what you want.

Hope this helps,
Jason
In reply to Siman Wong

Re: how to turn off messages

by Arnold Pizer -
Hi Siman,

To show or not show this message is a decision the problem author makes. Usually it is shown for multipart questions except for T/F, multiple choice, etc but the choice is yours.

Virtually every problem contains the line:
$showPartialCorrectAnswers = 1;
This is the default but the line appears to remind authors that they can set this to 0 and students will not be told which of their multiple answers are correct/incorrect.

You can edit the problem and (assuming you do not have permission to change the library copy) save a local version and use that.

Arnie