Installation

Can't get webwork to start

Can't get webwork to start

by Justin Brody -
Number of replies: 4
Hello,
I've followed the instructions on installing WW Version 2.5 but don't seem to be able to get it started. For what it's worth, Apache (2.2.16) is up and running, and I did have WeBWork running on this system before. I updated the system which seems to have caused the trouble. At any rate, all the modules seem to be installed and I don't know what to make of the error message I'm getting.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I've attached a transcript of what happens when I try to start Apache. For what it's worth, this is a Gentoo system, and I am able to browse straight HTML pages.

Thanks in advance!

-Justin
In reply to Justin Brody

Re: Can't get webwork to start

by Jason Aubrey -
Hi Justin,

Strange error. It looks to me like everything breaks down after you load the WebworkWebservice module in webwork.apache2-config here:

PerlModule WebworkWebservice

<Location /mod_xmlrpc>
SetHandler perl-script
PerlHandler Apache::XMLRPC::Lite
PerlSetVar dispatch_to "WebworkXMLRPC"
PerlSetVar options "compress_threshold => 10000"
Order Allow,Deny
Allow from All
</Location>

What happens if you comment just these lines out? If it still fails with the same error, what happens if you comment out all of the webservice stuff?

Jason
In reply to Jason Aubrey

by Justin Brody -
Hi Jason,
Thanks for the tip! Unfortunately no go, I seem to be getting similar but slightly different errors. I'm guessing at this point that it's some weirdness from some obscure dependency on the server. I'm going to try and clean up the system, maybe reinstall it. I'll be back if it still doesn't work :)

Thanks again!

-Justin
In reply to Justin Brody

by Justin Brody -
O.k. - stupid me had apache compiled with threading. Using the prefork MPM (as per directions blush) seems to have fixed the problem!

In reply to Justin Brody

by Michael Gage -
Justin,

Thanks for reporting back on the fix.

We need a project to start designing "unit tests" that catch and pinpoint these sorts of problems. Clear directions are helpful, but everyone misses something in the directions sometimes and just starting over again is not the optimal solution.

--- Mike