WeBWorK Problems

Local problem libraries

Local problem libraries

by Bob Hasson -
Number of replies: 3
In a local Webwork server, is there a way to set up a local library of problems that is visible to either all courses on the server or to selected courses on the server?

In reply to Bob Hasson

Re: Local problem libraries

by D. Brian Walton -
The way we are doing this is that we added a folder inside the National Problem Library folder (since I wasn't sure if another folder would be loaded in a similar way) that contains institutional problems. I expect when we update the library with svn that we will mark our folder as something that we will not link to the svn server.

We also modified the webwork global.conf file so that the Library Browser included an option in courses to show all problems within that folder, by finding the lines that enabled the Rochester and Union sublibraries and duplicating them for our new problem library. This also required modifying the modelCourse directory to include a symbolic link to this folder in order for the button to be active. I believe that if we were to include appropriate index markup at the beginning of our problems, then if we were to reindex the national library, our local problems would also be included in the Subject search.

In the past, I provided a .tgz archive of a folder of problems and had each instructor load them into the course directory. This was problematic, of course, as any corrections had to be applied to multiple courses, not to mention the extra hassle for instructors in getting things set up.

D. Brian Walton
James Madison University
In reply to Bob Hasson

by Nandor Sieben -
Yes, this is very easy. You can add a symlink in the templates directory of the class to the directory containing the pg files.

You can also modify the $courseFiles{problibs} line in global.conf to create
a button in the library browser.
In reply to Bob Hasson

by Jason Aubrey -
Hi Bob,

Also, if you'd like to put your problems in the NPL, shoot me an email and I'll get you set up.

Jason