Installation

Reluctant IT Department - Dreamhost?

Re: Amazon EC2 Install

by Hedley Pinsent -
Number of replies: 0
FYI only

Uploaded files do not unpack in the "out of the box" version of the community-amazon-cloud (EC2) image.

The fix is to ssh into the thing and to repeat the "Setting Permissions" section found in the various standard documentations.
I put sudo in front of many of the statements [after copy and paste] to get them to work; however using sudo alone - password ????

The last thing I did was to restart apache.

I plan to use the service to backup my work. After the 6 cents a minute starts I will turn it on only when I need it.

hp

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv From "Installation Manual for 2.5 on Ubuntu 12.04" vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
Setting Permissions

The PG installation directory and files should be owned by wwadmin and not writable by other users:

$ cd /opt/webwork/pg
$ chmod -R u+rwX,go+rX .

Most WeBWorK directories and files should also be owned by wwadmin and not writable by other users:

$ cd /opt/webwork/webwork2
$ chmod -R u+rwX,go+rX .

Certain data directories need to be writable by the web server. These are DATA, courses, htdocs/tmp, logs, and tmp. It is convenient to give WeBWorK administrators access to these directories as well, so they can perform administrative tasks such as removing temporary files, creating and editing courses from the command line, managing logs, and so on. We will create a new group called wwdata, containing both the WeBWorK administrators and the web server. Run the commands

$ sudo addgroup wwdata
<wwadmin password>
$ sudo adduser wwadmin wwdata

If there are other users who will also be administering WeBWorK files, now is a good time to add them. To do this

Select System Settings, User Accounts
Click the "Unlock" icon and enter the <wwadmin password>
Click the "+" icon and create the new account
And remember to add the new account to the wwdata group as above.

Now add the Apache2 webserver (which runs as www-data) to the wwdata group:

$ sudo adduser www-data wwdata

You can check that this succeeded in a terminal window by entering

$ id wwadmin

and then you should see wwdata listed under groups. Also

$ id www-data

should show wwdata listed under groups. Now we make the WeBWorK directories that need to be writable by the web server have wwdata as their group. The following are rather long commands; you might want to copy them and paste them into your terminal window rather than typing them.

$ su
Password: <root password>
# cd /opt/webwork/webwork2/
# chgrp -R wwdata DATA ../courses htdocs/tmp logs tmp
# chmod -R g+w DATA ../courses htdocs/tmp logs tmp
# find DATA/ ../courses/ htdocs/tmp logs/ tmp/ -type d -a ! \( -name .svn -prune \) -exec chmod g+s {} \;
# exit
$

Attachment screenShot.png