Installation

Not sending email

Not sending email

by Robin Cruz -
Number of replies: 8

Hi,

After our recent update (using ***-dev 2.5.1.1), the Email function is not working. When an instructor selects students to email, and clicks the "Send Email" button, the normal message that the email has been sent is give, but no email arrives to the student nor to the professor. I've looked through the three configuration files and I have our campus email server's name where I found a reference to it. Is there something else I need to do? By the way, the "Email Instructor" button in the homework sets works just fine.

Thanks --rac

In reply to Robin Cruz

Re: Not sending email

by Robin Cruz -

HI,

I tested out rolled back to the 2.4 stable version and the Email function works. I've tried the 2.5.1.1 stable version and, like the **-dev version, the Email function does not work, but the Email Instructor button does work in both.

Help??? -- rac

In reply to Robin Cruz

by Michael Gage -
Hi Robin,

My best guess is still that there is something different in the configuration files somewhere.  I don't believe there have been any changes to the SendMail.pm module in a long time.

I'm on IRC so we can try to debug it there. You can also email me copies of the 2.5.1.1  site.conf, localOverride.conf files and (assuming the default.config file is unchanged) and I can take a look to see if I see anything obvious.

The other thing to check is that there are no modifications being made in course.conf or simple.conf (which is determined by the settings in the course configuration files) for that particular course that are overriding the settings in the standard .conf files.

-- Mike

In reply to Michael Gage

by Andrew Bayliss -
Was there any resolution to this problem?

I have had the same behavior on our servers, but it started to happen before I ever tried to upgrade Webwork last Sept.

Andrew
In reply to Andrew Bayliss

by Lars Jensen -
Hi Andrew,

Works for me. You need to edit site.conf

Lars.
In reply to Lars Jensen

by Andrew Bayliss -
I did edit site.conf, and as long as students are sending the instructor email within the local network everything is fine. It is only an issue when the instructor tries to send an email outside the network to the student's yahoo or gmail addresses. Further, this started to happen last summer before I updated webwork from 2.4.9 to 2.5.1.3.

This has to be something internal that our network admin changed, but I am getting no help from him. It was working last spring, then in Sept it was not, and nothing had changed with the configuration.

by Andrew Bayliss -
Anytime a meesage gets sent outside our network I get the following error message.

"Couldn't close mail GLOB(0x7f26b9e1ad18) -- possibly a badly formed address:"

I have tried to send to different email addresses and nothing works. I have tried to change the port to 465. This is the port our smtp server uses, but I have had no luck getting it to work.

by Andrew Bayliss -
As it turns out, the current configuration of our exchange server required sasl authentication. So I was able to fix this by installing postfix on our webwork server. I use it to relay smtp messages to the exchange server, and configured the sasl authentication through postfix.