WeBWorK Main Forum

database connections per student working

database connections per student working

by Nandor Sieben -
Number of replies: 2
How should the limit on the number of connections to the database server set in terms of the number of students working at the same time? Does a working student need several connections?
In reply to Nandor Sieben

Re: database connections per student working

by Mark Hamrick -
That is a question I want to know the answer to also, I just rewrote the perl script that you put up to list the number of users logged into the system.  

Is there a way to pull the number of connections to the database from perl?  If so we can just add that information to the script.
In reply to Mark Hamrick

Re: database connections per student working

by Jason Aubrey -
Mark,

I don't know of a way to do it in perl off hand, but

mysqladmin status

seems to give relevant information. I just ran it on my webwork server and got this:

Uptime: 2231433 Threads: 25 Questions: 16067400 Slow queries: 0 Opens: 10372 Flush tables: 1 Open tables: 400 Queries per second avg: 7.200

mysqladmin extended-status

gives more information. I haven't looked extensively at the documentation, so I don't know (a) precisely what the output is telling me or (b) whether this information is just for tables accessible to the webworkWrite user (the user I ran it as) or for all tables in the database.

Also, Mark or Nandor - it you think the script would be helpful for others (I do) feel free to add it to svn in, say, webwork2/bin/

Thanks,
Jason