Installation

Fresh WebWork 2.4.9 installation issues

Fresh WebWork 2.4.9 installation issues

by Andrew Parker -
Number of replies: 4

I have a brand new installation of WW2.4.9 on a server running Debian 6.0.3.

I got through the installation process, to the point where the basic webwork page would load at my.server.edu/webwork2/. When I added the admin course, the Course Administration link showed up as expected, but there were errors on the page when I followed that link. I get the login and password fields, the continue button, but Webwork Error below that with the following code:

Call stack

The information below can help locate the source of the problem.

• in Exception::Class::Base::throw called at line 811 of /opt/webwork/webwork2/lib/WeBWorK/DB/Schema/NewSQL/Std.pm
  • in WeBWorK::DB::Schema::NewSQL::Std::handle_error called at line 412 of /opt/webwork/webwork2/lib/WeBWorK/DB/Schema/NewSQL/Std.pm
  • in WeBWorK::DB::Schema::NewSQL::Std::_get_fields_where_prepex called at line 380 of /opt/webwork/webwork2/lib/WeBWorK/DB/Schema/NewSQL/Std.pm
  • in WeBWorK::DB::Schema::NewSQL::Std::get_fields_where called at line 476 of /opt/webwork/webwork2/lib/WeBWorK/DB.pm
  • in WeBWorK::DB::listUsers called at line 206 of /opt/webwork/webwork2/lib/WeBWorK/ContentGenerator/Login.pm
  • in WeBWorK::ContentGenerator::Login::body called at line 152 of /opt/webwork/webwork2/lib/WeBWorK/Template.pm
  • in WeBWorK::Template::template called at line 491 of /opt/webwork/webwork2/lib/WeBWorK/ContentGenerator.pm
  • in WeBWorK::ContentGenerator::content called at line 195 of /opt/webwork/webwork2/lib/WeBWorK/ContentGenerator.pm
  • in WeBWorK::ContentGenerator::go called at line 353 of /opt/webwork/webwork2/lib/WeBWorK.pm

If I attempt to log into the admin course, I get just a webwork error, no page content whatsoever:

Call stack

The information below can help locate the source of the problem.

in Exception::Class::Base::throw called at line 811 of /opt/webwork/webwork2/lib/WeBWorK/DB/Schema/NewSQL/Std.pm in WeBWorK::DB::Schema::NewSQL::Std::handle_error called at line 412 of /opt/webwork/webwork2/lib/WeBWorK/DB/Schema/NewSQL/Std.pm in WeBWorK::DB::Schema::NewSQL::Std::_get_fields_where_prepex called at line 380 of /opt/webwork/webwork2/lib/WeBWorK/DB/Schema/NewSQL/Std.pm in WeBWorK::DB::Schema::NewSQL::Std::get_fields_where called at line 440 of /opt/webwork/webwork2/lib/WeBWorK/DB/Schema/NewSQL/Std.pm in WeBWorK::DB::Schema::NewSQL::Std::get_records_where called at line 740 of /opt/webwork/webwork2/lib/WeBWorK/DB/Schema/NewSQL/Std.pm in WeBWorK::DB::Schema::NewSQL::Std::gets called at line 495 of /opt/webwork/webwork2/lib/WeBWorK/DB.pm in WeBWorK::DB::getUsers called at line 490 of /opt/webwork/webwork2/lib/WeBWorK/DB.pm in WeBWorK::DB::getUser called at line 305 of /opt/webwork/webwork2/lib/WeBWorK/Authen.pm in WeBWorK::Authen::check_user called at line 223 of /opt/webwork/webwork2/lib/WeBWorK/Authen.pm in WeBWorK::Authen::do_verify called at line 152 of /opt/webwork/webwork2/lib/WeBWorK/Authen.pm in WeBWorK::Authen::verify called at line 290 of /opt/webwork/webwork2/lib/WeBWorK.pm

Can anyone help me with what's going wrong here?

In reply to Andrew Parker

Re: Fresh WebWork 2.4.9 installation issues

by Michael Gage -
The only thing I can tell immediately from the listing is that there is something wrong with the communication with the database.  The program is failing when it tries to get the list of users in the course. 

there might be additional information in the apache error log  or in the error logs for the database.

by Michael Gage -
Also take a look at this thread:

http://webwork.maa.org/moodle/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=2546

It might be worth checking with Eric Stroyan to see how they resolved the issue. Unfortunately the resolution wasn't posted to the forum.  :-)
In reply to Michael Gage

by Eric Stroyan -
I actually have not gotten around to trying to figure out what the problem was. I wound up using the backup image for my server from the earlier working version. I do recall I had used the 'latest and greatest' version of MySQL (5.5.**, i think) for FreeBSD. As mentioned, I haven't had a chance to do anything else, but I planned on trying to use an older version of MySQL (I currently use a variant of 5.1 on an earlier version of WeBWorK)to see if that does it. Hope that helps.

by Andrew Parker -
I resolved this problem by deleting the admin course and performing addcourse as root. Previously I created as a user in wwdata, though perhaps I was not in the courses folder, and adminClasslist.lst was not accessible?