WeBWorK Problems

Rename Problem 1 as Question 1, etc.

Rename Problem 1 as Question 1, etc.

by Paul Seeburger -
Number of replies: 4
How can I rename Problem 1, Problem 2, etc. in a homework set as Question 1, Question 2, etc. or Exercise 1, Exercise 2, etc.?

I also would like to be able to name one problem "Pre-Test", a second problem "Exploration", etc.  Is this possible?

Thanks!

Paul Seeburger
In reply to Paul Seeburger

Re: Rename Problem 1 as Question 1, etc.

by Michael Gage -
I haven't seen how to change these names.  What I have done is to place explanations about the contents of each problem in the "Set info" sidebar.
See for example the Demo or MAAtutorial problem sets. 
In reply to Paul Seeburger

by James Morski -
I am resurrecting this old thread. Does anybody know if it is possible to rename individual homework problems as Paul suggests?

In reply to James Morski

by Michael Gage -
Unfortunately the answer is no, it is not possible to rename an individual homework problem. The number was used as a primary key in the database at the beginning of time (e.g about 1999) and so is not easily changed without breaking things. Set names are also primary keys, so once they are set you can't change them. (You can however edit the pop up dialog that occurs when you hover over the set name.)

This remains one of the high priority items to fix if/when we redesign the database. That, however, is a big job -- particularly since backward compatibility will need to be maintained.

The best I can suggest is that you use the homework set "header" to comment on the problems and why they are there. For example look at:

https://demo.webwork.rochester.edu/webwork2/UR_demo/Calculus_I/

(you can view it as a guest)

-- Mike
In reply to Michael Gage

by James Morski -
Thanks for this reply, Mike. This is a good workaround for what I'd like. And, that demo course has a ton of useful examples in it, so thanks for sharing!