WeBWorK Problems

Geogebra algebra window

Geogebra algebra window

by Gabriela Sanchis -
Number of replies: 9
Hi.

I have been trying to learn how to incorporate Geogebra applets into WebWork problems, following the instructions on the Wiki, which are very helpful. However no matter what I try, my applets always show up with the algebra window open, even though I save the ggb file with the algebra window closed before I export it as html. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks.

Gabriela Sanchis
Elizabethtown College
In reply to Gabriela Sanchis

Re: Geogebra algebra window

by Paul Pearson -
Hi,

Check that your PG source code has

param name="showAlgebraInput" value="false"

which can be found in

sub GEOGEBRA_PARAMS { ... }

on http://webwork.maa.org/wiki/GeoGebra1

Good luck!

Paul Pearson

by Gabriela Sanchis -
Paul,

Attached is my pg source code.

Thanks.

Gabriela

by Michael Gage -
On line 171 (about 10 lines from the end) change 

<param name="showAlgebraInput" value="true" />

to

<param name="showAlgebraInput" value="false" />

and see if that helps.
-- Mike
In reply to Michael Gage

by Gabriela Sanchis -
Paul and Mike,

Changing the showAlgebraInput parameter didn't work. That parameter controls whether there is an input box at the bottom for the user to type into. When I export my Geogebra file to the web, the resulting html file works - the algebra window is closed if it was closed in the original ggb file and it is open if it was open in the original ggb file.

It occurred to me that there might be a showAlgebraWindow parameter. I tried putting in <param name="showAlgebraWindow" value="false" /> but that didn't work. I googled it, which took me to the Geogebra user forum. Someone asked why there is no parameter showAlgebraWindow, and the response was because it's saved in the ggb file.

An example of a webwork question with a geogebra applet with the algebra window closed is here: Library/LoyolaChicago/Precalc/Chap6Sec5/sinusoidal-graph-01.pg

Any other ideas? Thanks again for your help.

Gabriela
In reply to Michael Gage

by Jason Diemer -
Hi Michael,

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I only recently attempted this and have had the same problem as Gabriela.

Has there been a resolution to this?

Jason
In reply to Jason Diemer

by Andrew Bayliss -
I am running into this problem as well.  Has anyone figured out how to remove the side algebra window? 

Yes, I made sure the following parameter was set as well.

"<param name="showAlgebraInput" value="false" />"

Thanks,

Andrew 
In reply to Andrew Bayliss

by Paul Pearson -
Hi all,

I do not know why GeoGebra is ignoring the showAlgebraInput parameter. When creating a question that uses GeoGebra I have had luck doing the following to hide the algebra window.

1. Open the .ggb GeoGebra file, close the algebra window within GeoGebra (there should be an "x" in the upper right corner of the algebra window), and save the GeoGebra file. Note: WebWork is not used at all in this step.

2. Within GeoGebra, do the usual "export to html" routine to get a ggbBase64 string that encodes the contents of the GeoGebra file.

3. Open WebWork and paste the contents of the ggbBase64 string into the .pg file in the appropriate location, usually something like data-param-ggbbase64="PUT BIG GGBBASE64 STRING HERE". Obviously, save the .pg file.

4. Enjoy!

Best regards,

Paul Pearson
In reply to Paul Pearson

by Andrew Bayliss -
I am still running into problems besides the algebra frame.  I have attached my pg file and can also attach my geogebra file, if you would like to take a look at it.  I am definitely not adept at programming javascript so any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

The points that are being transformed and then used to create the formula that is returned to 'answerBox' keep coming up with decimals when I just want to pass back integers.  It seems that the points are not snapping to the integers when I want to move them on top of a fixed point.  I'm not sure f there is a way to correct it.

Thanks,
Andrew