WeBWorK Problems

Physics problems (in addition to CAPA) in WeBWorK

Physics problems (in addition to CAPA) in WeBWorK

by Alexander Basyrov -
Number of replies: 12
A faculty from Physics department at UW-Stout expressed some interested in trying out webwork in their physics courses, so I have a question about Physics problems in webwork.

I know that there are some physics problems ported from CAPA (http://webwork.maa.org/wiki/CAPA_Physics_Problems) into webwork, but I was wondering if anyone knows of any school that is/was developing any 'newer' physics problems for webwork.

-- Alex Basyrov
In reply to Alexander Basyrov

Re: Physics problems (in addition to CAPA) in WeBWorK

by Douglas Young -
I think the University of Rochester has a problem bank. I don't know how willing they would be to share access to them.

I am VERY interested in creating some additional physics problems over the summer. I was planning on trying to produce problems that would be appropriate for an algebra-based physics class, and maybe some that would be useful for high-school physics classes. I had hoped to barter creating these problems for an extension of the free trial account I have now. My plan was to take the scripts for some of the CAPA problems and use them as a template to generate new problems.

by Eric Stroyan -
I have been using WeBWorK for high school algebra based physics (Basic, Honors and AP) for some time now. I have a collection of problems ranging from modified DCDS problems, modifications of some Serway and Faughn, and in-house problems you are welcome to. I also have a collection of chemistry problems that I occasionally expand upon. I try to develop new problems every now and then, but am not able to get enough time for a concerted effort. Let me know if you want copies, I'll gladly send what I have.
In reply to Eric Stroyan

by Justin Heckman -
Hi

I would love to have an physics questions you have, appropriate for high school, that are beyond CAPA.  I will make sure my email address is in my profile information,
In reply to Eric Stroyan

by Lasha K -
Hi,
I came across this thread in my desperate search for Physics and Chemistry problem sets for WebWork. I can see two courses hosted on MAA WebWork website, both of which are you work.

ahsd_chemistry_course

ahsd_physics_course

both licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License

While the problem sets are really neat. The course info however mentions that they are not yet in the WeBWorK WeBWorK's Open Problem Library.
I would really love to have problems for both courses, Physics and Chemistry. May I kindly ask you to share them by e-mail with me, please?
In reply to Lasha K

by Justin Heckman -
Does anyone have access to these problem sets?
In reply to Justin Heckman

by Michael Gage -
I have added links to an archive of the problems used in the AHSD courses in physics and chemistry written by Eric Stroyan. The link is in the last paragraph of the course info section on the right hand side of the page.

https://demo.webwork.rochester.edu/webwork2/ahsd_physics_course/

https://demo.webwork.rochester.edu/webwork2/ahsd_chemistry_course/

by Santo D'Agostino -

The Physics Department at Brock University is working on placing all of the OpenStax College Physics problems on WeBWorK. We have already programmed all of the problems, and are now doing a final check before we upload them to the Open Problem Library. We expect to be able to upload them by this summer (August 2018) at the latest.

-- Santo D'Agostino

In reply to Santo D'Agostino

by Justin Heckman -
OUTSTANDING!! I just got done filling out the OpenStax survey and encouraged that this very action be taken.

THank You
In reply to Justin Heckman

by Sean Fitzpatrick -
The Physics Department at the University of Lethbridge is also using OpenStax Physics for several of their courses, and they have a few students working this summer to write WeBWorK problems.
I'm not directly involved with their project, aside from running the server their work is on. I let them know about the work at Brock.
In reply to Santo D'Agostino

by Andy Fuchs -
Physics at Vanier College in Montreal have adopted OpenStax College Physics as well. Have the associated webwork problems been made available yet?

I'd happily take part in the coding.

Many thanks!

Andy