svn update

Now nothing works.

See attached photo

hp
Attachment afterSVN.jpg
In reply to Hedley Pinsent

Re: trouble after svn

by Michael Gage -
There have been some fairly big changes from 2.4.9 to the current version in the SVN.  

My first suggestion is that you run svn update in the  /opt/webwork/pg  directory so that both the files in pg/macros and pg/lib are updated.
This is more likely to insure that there aren't any incompatible changes in the new files.

I suspect there have been some changes in the macros files that weren't balanced in the Translator.pm file which is deep in the /opt/webwork/lib directory.  Your errors don't happen on my machine, but I have the latest versions of both pg and webwork2.

Usually it is ok to update  pg and webwork2 independently, but as I said there have been some fairly big changes in the year plus some months  since 2.4.9 came out so you may have to update webwork2 as well as pg (and this will mean updating your configuration files in webwork2/conf)

Hope this helps.

-- Mike

Re: trouble after svn

by Lars Jensen -
Hi Hedley,

It may be that you just need to edit the config files.

You can go back to the previous working version by going into the directory or directories you did the update from, and from the shell prompt, issue

svn update --revision XXXX

where XXXX is a previous revision number. Do this in each directory you updated. If you don't have your previous version number, you can probably get it by going into the directory or directories you did the update from, and from the shell prompt, issue

svn info

Lars.
In reply to Lars Jensen

Re: trouble after svn almost there I think

by Hedley Pinsent -
Some write permission issues. I thought they went away when I homognized the permissions with Nautilus.

I then went through most of the steps (permissions) in the "Installation Manual for 2.5 on Ubuntu 10.04" omitting the stuff on creating the database.

The problem comes up in various ways, especially "submitting" answers.

Am inserting a screenshot.

Thanks in advance.

hp
Attachment writePermissions.jpg

Maybe I have it after all - thanks

by Hedley Pinsent -

Just hold of a bit; I think I have got it.

The general instructions for 2.4

hp

Re: Maybe I have it after all - thanks

by Michael Gage -
The webwork2/logs, webwork2/DATA, and webwork2/tmp directories should all be writable to by the server.  

This doesn't always happen when the directories are downloaded from svn.

Eventually we may get around to having these permissions reconfigured automatically when you visit the admin course.  Can anyone think of a downside to automatically setting these directories to 775 configuration?

-- Mike

In reply to Michael Gage

Re: To complete the list?

by Hedley Pinsent -
Also
/opt/webwork/courses
- in order to be able to create a course
hp

Re: To complete the list?

by Michael Gage -
Good point.  Yes.  

I usually make the server the owner of the entire /opt/webwork/courses directory and everything below it.  It also tends to discourage 
rearranging things directly from the command line in that directory which is probably more  of a feature than a bug.

-- Mike