WeBWorK Main Forum

Why when viewing homework problems none of default display modes is used?

Why when viewing homework problems none of default display modes is used?

by Christian Seberino -
Number of replies: 3
In Homework Sets Editor I often click on link to edit homework problems.

I have THREE choices for display modes but NONE of them is used by default.

How make one be used initially rather than none so that I avoid seeing path names to PG files?

global.conf has a default (I checked).

cs
In reply to Christian Seberino

Re: Why when viewing homework problems none of default display modes is used?

by Alexander Basyrov -
Christian,

I suspect that you will always see path names to PG files regardless of the chosen display mode. Being able to edit paths to pg files is probably one of the features of homework set editor in webwork.

After about 5 years of webwork use I have the impression that it is a good idea not to show the body of the problems when one enters 'homework sets editor' so that the page loads pretty fast with minimal use of server resources.

I am imagining situation when a homework set contains 100+ problems -- I would not want make webwork server render all 100 problems every time I go in and try to change the due dates.

In the worst case, there could be 5 problems in the homework set, each ending up in an infinite loop -- I'm not quite sure what will happen in that case, but the page with the list of problems would definitely take a while to load if webwork server tries to render all such problems.

-- Alex
In reply to Alexander Basyrov

by Christian Seberino -
Alex

Thanks for the reply. Is there at least the option to force a default display mode for people that have VERY small homework sets 99% of the time? I constantly have to reload the page twice...once without a display mode and a second time with the display mode so for me it takes a lot longer this way.

cs

P.S. Why would 5 problems cause an infinite loop?

In reply to Christian Seberino

by Alexander Basyrov -
Christian,

Maybe using a 'hardcopy' in pdf format is an easier way to see all problems on one page? I'm pretty sure you thought about that though.

I do not know if there is a configuration option that changes default display mode in the homework sets editor. That could be useful in 99% of cases, and it is probably not too hard to implement.

The 'infinite loop' situation is just another possible worst case scenario. The code in a .pg file might contain an infinite loop -- just add something like while(1==1){ ; } into the .pg code and you have it. If there are 5 such problems in a problem set, the server will attempt to render those buggy problems waiting for 60 seconds (or whatever the timeout on .pg files is set) for each problem to produce output. In the worst case you will not see the homework sets editor page at all; in the best case it could take anywhere between 1 minute and 5 minutes for the page to load. Not rendering problems on the first load avoids that.

-- Alex