WeBWorK Main Forum

Problem part on-line, part on-paper: continued

Problem part on-line, part on-paper: continued

by Murray Eisenberg -
Number of replies: 5
Here's a clarification of my preceding query about this.

I don't understand the weighted_partial_grader.

I have a problem worth a total of 10 points (out of a grand total of 100 points for the entire set). It has four main parts.

Parts (a) and (c) are posed in the problem but are to be done on paper, where I'll score them.

Part (b) actually consists of 5 sub-parts to be done on-line. Part (d) is to be done on-line.

I want to give credit as follows:

(a) 1 point, awarded on paper
(b) 1 point per each of 5 part = 5 point subtotal, on-line
(c) 2 points, awarded on paper.
(d) 2 points, on-line

So after including "PGasu.pl" in the macro list in loadMacros, I used the following code:

install_problem_grader(~~&weighted_partial_grader); $ENV{'partial_weights'} = [.1,.1,.1,.1,.1,.2];
$ENV{grader_message} = "You get the rest of the credit from handing in the paper homework";

But when I do the problem and get all subparts of (b) correct and (d) correct, what I see is the very misleading:

Your score was recorded.
You have attempted this problem 0 times.
You received a score of 100% for this attempt.
Your overall recorded score is 100%.

So I realized I probably needed to add a "fake" weight at the end, by changing the code to be:

$ENV{'partial_weights'} = [.1,.1,.1,.1,.1,.2,.3];

And now the message I see as user changes to say:

Your score was recorded.
You have attempted this problem 1 time.
You received a score of 70% for this attempt.
Your overall recorded score is 100%.

But that still doesn't give the message about the rest of the credit to be from handing in the paper parts. And of course the "overall recorded score is 100%" is confusing, to say the least.

And the really bad part is that Scoring Tools now shows a score of 10 for this question (the only one I did), whereas it should show only the 7 points I actually did on-line.
In reply to Murray Eisenberg

Re: Problem part on-line, part on-paper: continued

by Danny Glin -
I think the "overall recorded score of 100%" and the score of 10 in Scoring Tools probably come from your first attempt at the question(before you added the "fake" weight at the end). I suspect that the new code is working properly in terms of scoring (I can't help with the feedback message), but since you have already recorded a higher score (using the old version of the question) it isn't replacing your previous score of 100% with your current score of 70%.
Try manually changing your status on the question back to 0 (by editing the set data for yourself), then attempting it again. Alternatively, you could start fresh, either by trying the question as a different user or by unassigning then reassigning to yourself.
In reply to Danny Glin

by Murray Eisenberg -
How/where do I "edit the set data" so as to change my status back to 0?

by Danny Glin -
Find yourself in the Classlist Editor. Click on the "Assigned Sets" (m/n) link next to you.
Find the assignment in question and click on it. You will get the details for your version. Find the question you were working on, the status (which is actually your grade) will be 1. You can change it to 0.
In reply to Danny Glin

by Murray Eisenberg -
Ok, thanks, that took care of getting the right credit.

The question remains as to why I'm not seeing the message about the remaining points:

You get the rest of the credit from handing in the paper homework

by Murray Eisenberg -
I found the message "You get the rest of the credit from handing in the paper homework".

Michael Gage had written in an earlier thread, "The student sees these messages at the bottom of their screen." That's what confused me...

The message in question actually appears as a Note at the bottom of the problem statement -- not the bottom of the screen. Before the buttons for Submit, etc. And quite above the place where the student sees the report at the bottom about attempts, score, etc.

I hope my students will be more eagle-eyed than I in finding it.