WeBWorK Main Forum

Controlling the display of correct answers

Controlling the display of correct answers

by Yoav Freund -
Number of replies: 8
I would like to allow the student to see the correct answer to each question only
after they have found it (this might seem redundant, but it isn't when the correct answer is an expression - the student might have used a different expression to arrive at the same correct result). How do I do that?

The snapshot below is what I get right now, what I want is that the "correct" field will be empty unless the "result" field is "Correct"
Yoav

Attachment Screen_shot_2012-08-18_at_10.01.50_PM.png
In reply to Yoav Freund

Re: Controlling the display of correct answers

by Dick Lane -
Hi Yoav,

Are you concerned about timing?  i.e., what the student can see while an assignment is open vs. after the assignment has closed?

A student can not see the "Correct" column until the assignment's dueDate has passed.  After that dueDate, a student will see a "Show correct answers" box --- displaying the "Correct" column requires that box be checked and the "Check Answers" button (replaces "Submit Answers" button after dueDate) be clicked.  [If the problem's programming includes a solution, then a student can also check a "Show Solutions" box after the assignment's dueDate.]

An instructor will always see the "Show correct answers" box (and a "Show Solutions" box if a solution is available).  In any event, the "Correct" column is not shown unless the "Show" box is checked before a "Submit/Check" button is clicked.

dick
In reply to Dick Lane

by Yoav Freund -
Hi Dick,

Thank you! this makes sense.
I guess when you write sequential problems you can reveal the answer at a later
part because the student cannot go back.

If I understand correctly, the student *can* try to answer the same questions repeatedly until s/he gets a "correct", I think that is a good thing.
Is it possible to change the randomization between different trials of the same
question?

Yoav
In reply to Yoav Freund

by Michael Gage -
The sequential (or compoundProblem) capabilities can still use significant additional development.   I think most of us, including the author Davide Cervone, regard the compoundProblem.pl macro as an interim solution.

Some further progress on this was done by students at WPI:
see in particular the project on WeBWorK tutorials for statistics II

and there is one further example adding javaScript UI at 

This is definitely a breadboard example.  You can see all the moving parts and it is certainly not robust.

It should be good enough as a proof of concept however.  If you tweak it gently, one step at a time, you should be able to 

make this work for a real homework problem. 

(make small changes and test often -- backup if something breaks -- as I said it's a breadboard and 

potentially fragile.)    Let me know how it goes.  It will help with development if I have a few real compoundProblem to experiment with and I'm completely open to collaborating on getting this capability perfected.

In reply to Yoav Freund

by Arnold Pizer -
Hi,

Regarding changing the randomization between different trials of the same
question see the macro written by Paul Pearson:

Arnie
In reply to Arnold Pizer

by Dick Lane -
I suspect Arnie is referring to PeriodicRerandomization.pl which Paul described in

http://webwork.maa.org/moodle/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=2572#p5443

with full source (including internal documentation) found at

http://svn.webwork.maa.org/npl/trunk/NationalProblemLibrary/macros/FortLewis/PeriodicRerandomization.pl

Note:Mike's message has a link to the maa102 "course" which allows Guest Logins. If your "practice#" login has recorded attempts for some problems in the compoundProblemExperiments "assignment", then you may not encounter all segments of that problem. A quick logout and login may have you become a different practice student with no prior answers.
In reply to Arnold Pizer

by Davide Cervone -
Actually, problemRandomize is mine. Dick mentioned Paul's version in his response. Not that it really matters, but just so people don't ask Paul quetions about problemRandomize.
In reply to Davide Cervone

by Arnold Pizer -
Thanks for clearing this up.  I haven't used either and wasn't sure of the name. Paul's was the one I had in mind but when I searched I found Davide's.  It would be good to have a problem technique (or something) pointing to both.

Arnie
In reply to Dick Lane

by Michael Gage -
If you want a "properly formatted" correct answer displayed immediately when the student enters an equivalent correct answer you could do this using the answerHints.pl macros.  Those were designed for "close but no cigar" wrong answers -- but they could be used for correct answers as well.  

I'd use this technique cautiously myself since I like students to get used to the idea that there is often not a unique correct answer even for math problems. For that matter I'm leery about hints as well unless I'm really sure they will help and not mislead a student who is thinking along an alternate track.