WeBWorK Main Forum

Problems saving a local version of a library problem

Problems saving a local version of a library problem

by Yoav Freund -
Number of replies: 6
Hi,

I think this used to work for me, but now it does not. I wanted to make some changes to a problem that is in the public library. I opened the problem in the editor and saved it to my local directory, my next step was to go and make the changes. However, this time around, the system message was the the file
has been saved, and the problem has been redirected, but the new version has not been "permanently" saved, whatever that means....

I tried looking at this through the problem set editor and am faced with the
same problem: in the list of problems the link is to the new file, but when I click on "edit it" I am redirected to some kind of temporary version of the old file. See screenshots below. BTW I checked through the file browser and the new file exists in the expected location.

How do I get from this "tmpEdit" version to my own local version? Better yet, how can I copy a problem from the library to my own directory without having this problem?

Yoav

Problem 5 seen through the problemset editor:

But clicking on "Edit it" gets me to a page with this message:

In reply to Yoav Freund

Re: Problems saving a local version of a library problem

by Arnold Pizer -
Hi,

I can not see your screen shot (the URL is too long) but, playing around, I was able to get your error message.  My guess at present is that it is an erroneous error message.  I had several windows open (so the was a tmp file existing which I was viewing in one window) and saw the error msg at the bottom of the screen (in another window where I saved a copy of the file in my local directory) but as far as I can tell, everything I was trying to do (edit problems, save a permanent copy, view and work the new problem from the set, etc) worked.  So maybe, the fact that a tmp file exists is triggering the error msg in a situation where it doesn't apply.

Actually at this point (not looking at things too hard --- I'm sitting on my boat getting ready to go out sailing) I don't know how to trigger the error msg in a situation where it really applied.  And I'm not sure exactly what I did to trigger the error msg that I did see.

Are you having trouble saving, editing, etc or are you just seeing an error msg as I am?

Arnie

In reply to Arnold Pizer

by Yoav Freund -
I was not able to overcome the problem. The workaround that I found was to add the local version at the end of the problem-set instead of replacing the current problem. Then use the editor to delete the pointer to the library version of the problem and use the local version instead.

The screenshots were not added for some reason, so I am attaching them again here.

Yoav

Pointer from problem set editor:

Attachment Screen_shot_2012-09-01_at_3.00.48_PM.png
In reply to Yoav Freund

by Yoav Freund -
Screenshot after clicking on "Edit it" :

Attachment Screen_shot_2012-09-01_at_3.00.19_PM.png
In reply to Yoav Freund

by Arnold Pizer -
Hi Yoav,

I haven't been able to reproduce your bug.  If you edit a problem and view it without saving it, WeBWorK keeps a copy in the tmpEdit directory and you see a msg like the one you posted above.  People may want to do such things just to see how a problem would look or try the problem with different seeds. However, after doing that when I select Save AS [TMPL]/local/Library/Union/setDervIncreaseDecrease/4-2-59.pg  (select the circle)
and replace set test/problem 8 it always works for me.  Note that you do have to select the correct option "Save AS" or "Save" depending on the situation (you can not "Save AS" an existing file or "Save" a write protected one) but that doesn't seem to be your issue. It seems you don't have permission to change the pointer to the problem in the database which is very strange. Obviously, there is something I am missing.

Arnie
In reply to Yoav Freund

by Danny Glin -
In answer to your second last question:
"How do I get from this "tmpEdit" version to my own local version?"

If you are looking at a tmpEdit version, you should be given an additional radio button at the bottom "Revert to ...".  If you select this, then click Take Action, it will delete the tmpEdit version of the problem, and give you back the version saved on disk.

Just be wary that if you had any unsaved changes to your problem (usually things done to the code followed by choosing "View using seed..."), they will be gone forever.

Danny