WeBWorK Problems

Discrete Math Library to Upload

Discrete Math Library to Upload

by Mike O'Sullivan -
Number of replies: 6
I have a library of ~200 problems for discrete mathematics that
a student helped me build this summer.
It has been vetted pretty carefully, although I won't promise it is bug free.
I'd like to contribute it to the NPL library so that others can access it.

I'm not sure how this is done. Please advise.

Thanks
In reply to Mike O'Sullivan

Re: Discrete Math Library to Upload

by Paul Pearson -
Hi Mike,

Great! Thank you for sharing new homework problems. A good way to submit new webwork problem libraries is:

1. Post to this forum that you have new problems to submit, thereby making others aware that new problems are being added to the library and also creating a record of what's available that can be searched via google. A brief description of the problems, such as which textbook they came from and which topics they cover, would be useful.

2. Contact me (Paul Pearson) or John Jones (at Arizona State University) via email and send a .tgz file of the .pg files. You can get a .tgz file of all of the problems by opening the File Manager in webwork, selecting a directory, and clicking the Make Archive button. The .pg files should be tagged with meta data (see http://webwork.maa.org/wiki/Tagging_Problems ). We would also like to know the email addresses of people who authored the .pg files, in case there are bugs that need to be fixed.

Thanks!

Paul Pearson

In reply to Paul Pearson

by Mike O'Sullivan -
Hi Paul,

A followup question:
The .pg files are organized in several directories.
Some of these directories have one or more subdirectories
with image files. The .pg files call the .gif files in the subdirectories.
We also have a few .pdf files with instructions that are called by the
.pg files and we would like to include them also.
Can we just put them in with the .pg files, or in a subdirectory?

Mike
In reply to Mike O'Sullivan

by Arnold Pizer -
Hi Mike,

The standard way to handle a .pg file that uses .gif or .png images is the put e.g. the myproblem.pg file and all the images in a subdirectory called myproblem.

Take a look at the example
NationalProblemLibrary/Rochester/setSampleGraphs/c0s1p8/
The directory c0s1p8 contains the pg file c0s1p8.pg and all the images the problem uses.  Note the name of the directory is the same as the name of the problem without the .pg extension.  Another example is problem 6 (rochesterLibrary/set0/prob4/prob4.pg) in the standard set 0 (set0.def) which is usually contained in all courses.

Keeping the pg problem and all the associated images in a separate directory such as c0s1p8 is a good way to keep all the components of the problem together.  And the library browser is designed to work with such directories as if they were pg files.

(Creating a local copy of a problem that uses an image)

Arnie
In reply to Arnold Pizer

by Paul Pearson -
Hi everyone!

Venn diagrams always cheer me up :) If you want to see some fun Venn diagram questions (among others) for WeBWorK's discrete math library, please check out these problems by Michael O'Sullivan and his student of San Diego State University:

https://github.com/openwebwork/webwork-open-problem-library/tree/master/OpenProblemLibrary/SDSU/Discrete

Thanks!

Paul Pearson
In reply to Paul Pearson

by Jay Yellen -
Hi Paul,

I've always used the library browser to import problems, and Mike O'Sullivan's problem set doesn't appear in the NPL. I'm unfamiliar (and somewhat intimidated) with the references to and terminology for the github stuff.

Is it possible for me to import O'Sullivan's problem set(s) in the usual way via the Webwork library browser?

Thanks in advance,

--Jay
In reply to Jay Yellen

by Arnold Pizer -
Hi Jay,

You are not alone in this. The problems are now in the svn repository.

Supposedly any commits to the svn repository are automatically transfered to the github repository which is now the "official" one. It would be good to go the other way too (at least for awhile) so that things are totally synced.

Arnie