Installation

Install on OS X: no mysqld.sock if use MySql from mysql.com

Install on OS X: no mysqld.sock if use MySql from mysql.com

by Murray Eisenberg -
Number of replies: 1
I want to use the script WeBWorkScript.sh (from http://webwork.maa.org/wiki/Automatic_Installer_for_2.4_on_Mac_OS_10.5_for_
Intel_processors#.UZ0v7ZWhypU) to install WeBWorK under OS X 10.8.3 (Mountain Lion). But instead of having the MacPorts version of MySQL, which is what the script assumes, I have the version installed by the native OS X installer directly from mysql.com.

I think I know how to make all the needed modifications required, but for one. Namely, towards the end of the script I find:

sudo ln -s /opt/local/var/run/mysql5/mysqld.sock /tmp/mysql.sock
    sudo chmod 777 /tmp/mysql.sock

But I do not seem to have any mysqld.sock file after I launch mysqld, although I do have a /tmp/mysql.sock then.

How should this be handled?
In reply to Murray Eisenberg

Re: Install on OS X: no mysqld.sock if use MySql from mysql.com

by Bill Farr -
Murray,
The mysql.sock file contains information on how to communicate with mysql. It is created whenever the mysql daemon is started. 
You say the file /tmp/mysql.sock exists. Is it a link? If so, where does it
go? Since you say you didn't install the MacPorts version of mysql, the
file 
/opt/local/var/run/mysql5/mysqld.sock
shouldn't exist. Did these commands produce an error when you ran the
script? If myql.sock exists and isn't a link to the MacPorts location, then it was probably put there when mysql started up.

The most important question is whether or not you can communicate with mysql. I suggest trying to connect on the command line. If you can connect to mysql, then you don't need to worry about this and can proceed as detailed in the WeBWorK installation manual.

If you can't communicate with mysql, then you need to figure out why you can't. Did you install the mysql Startup Item? How about the MySQL preference
pane? Either of these should help you start mysql up. 

Regards,
Bill Farr