WeBWorK Main Forum

Often need to regrade many exam problems by hand

Often need to regrade many exam problems by hand

by Christian Seberino -
Number of replies: 1
Students do paper exams for the test time period.  After exam time is over, they enter answers into Webwork at one of the few computers we have in the classroom.

This leads to lots of regrades as students sometimes transfer answers incorrectly from their paper work to WebWork.  Also, they will sometimes continue working on exam and changing answers during the Webwork period even though they shouldn't.

Finally, there is opportunity for cheating as they change answers on their paper work and then blame the missed answers on a glitch in WebWork when transferring answers to WebWork.

Using Webwork has the additional danger that students can use the Internet to cheat!

I'm not sure I've found the perfect way to do WebWork tests yet.

cs
In reply to Christian Seberino

Re: Often need to regrade many exam problems by hand

by Gavin LaRose -
Hi Christian,

We don't use WeBWorK for regular exams/quizzes, but we do use it for gateway/skills testing. In that case we have the students work the entire test in WeBWorK, and have the luxury of having a lab in which students can work: then all students are sitting at a computer, and the system can manage the time limit. The lab is staffed by proctors whose job it is to monitor students' activities to ensure that they are not cheating.

This environment has the added benefit that we are able to set a firewall either on the computers or at the router that disallows connections to any site other than WeBWorK and our DNS/authentication servers. Thus we don't have to worry about students using something like WolframAlpha.

That said, I can't think of a good solution to the logistical issues you're facing.

Gavin