PREP 2013 Question Authoring - Archived

Another version of the same problem

Another version of the same problem

by John Travis -
Number of replies: 3
From Josie:  How do I get a problem with random possibilities to show me another version?
In reply to John Travis

Re: Another version of the same problem

by Davide Cervone -
If you are viewing the problem in a homework set (as an instructor), you will have an "Edit" or "Edit1" link below the problem text. Click that to get the problem editor. There is an option called "View using seed". The number that follows is the "seed" used to initialize the randomization. If you change that to another number and press "Take Action" below, you will view the problem with different numbers. Each different seed number should give you a different version (up to the limits of the randomization in use in the problem).
In reply to John Travis

by John Travis -
As we mentioned in class today, if you want the student to have another random seed version..

Under the Macros section, add:

"problemRandomize.pl",

as one of the options.  Now, in the body of the problem you can utilize features of this macro.  To access those features, somewhere in the setup section (under TEXT(begin problem) ) type

ProblemRandomize(when=>"Correct",onlyAfterDue=>0);

This should be enough then for a student to rework the problem with different randomization after they first get it right with the original values but before the due date as well.

The documentation on this (which I could not find during the session this morning :) ) is at http://webwork.maa.org/pod/pg_TRUNK/macros/problemRandomize.pl.html 
In reply to John Travis

by John Travis -
For some reason I got an extra "X" when pasting above. Tried to edit and it still comes back on this forum.  Go figure...but with no X please.  :/