WeBWorK Problems

can I check .pg files on my laptop?

can I check .pg files on my laptop?

by Helena Verrill -
Number of replies: 2
If I want to test webwork problems on my laptop, is there some way to do this by just downloading some libraries or something that perl can use, or
do I need to download the whole webwork server to run on my lap top?

If possible, I would like to be able to test programs from the command line, in the way I can test whether a perl program runs from the command line.
This would hopefully make it easier to check .pg files before loading them on
to the server.
In reply to Helena Verrill

Re: can I check .pg files on my laptop?

by Michael Gage -
On my wish list is a tk-perl application that would allow editing of pg problems from my laptop completely independently of a server. Unfortunately it's not high on my stack of things to do yet. :-)

You can come close. In the directory webwork2/clients there are sample files that show how to ship a file off to a server to be rendered. So you can use your favorite editor to edit a .pg file and then provided that you are connected to the internet with a WeBWorK server you can ship it off to be rendered on the server and have the result returned and displayed in your browser. The README file in that directory gives more details.

This is alpha software, some assembly required, and a few features missing but I do use it myself. YMMV! I have customized my copy of the client renderProblem.pl slightly so that a file in BBedit (the editor I use on the Mac) can be filtered through this script and the result displayed in Safari.
In reply to Helena Verrill

Re: can I check .pg files on my laptop?

by Arnold Pizer -
Another option is to use the WeBWorK Live CD to turn your laptop into a WeBWorK server without installing any software.  You could load the problem libraries on part of your hard disk or on a memory card. Search for "Live CD" in the forums and/or check out http://www.webwork2.ms.uky.edu/