WeBWorK Problems

Linear algebra questions

Linear algebra questions

by Paul Pearson -
Number of replies: 5
Hi everyone,

Two quick questions:

1. Are there people who have local libraries of linear algebra questions that they would like to contribute to the global Open Problem Library for WeBWorK?

2. Are there people who are in the process of developing linear algebra questions right now (i.e., writing new questions or revising old ones) using the new MathObjects Matrix capabilities?

Thanks!

Paul Pearson

In reply to Paul Pearson

Re: Linear algebra questions

by Richard Lynch -
Hi, Paul. 

1. I'm currently in the process of writing a chapter for Jeff Holt's Linear Algebra book and I've already finished three others. I'm not sure what the book company plans to do with the problems, so you would have to ask Jeff or Freeman.

2. I'm using Matrix objects extensively while programming these problems. They're pretty useful. What would you like to know?

Rick
In reply to Richard Lynch

by Paul Pearson -
Hi Rick,

Are you updating existing problems or writing new ones?

I would like to coordinate efforts of people who are interested in updating the existing linear algebra questions to use MathObjects. So, please let us know via this forum thread if you are interested or have any questions. Today, I updated problems in the directory

Rochester/setLinearAlgebra3Matrices/

(but have not yet submitted them to the OPL -- tagging needs to be updated on my end).

The matrix objects are pretty useful (thanks Davide!).

Best regards,

Paul Pearson
In reply to Paul Pearson

by John Jones -
Are you sure they need to be retagged?  Updating them to use mathobjects doesn't seem like it would require tags to be changed.

John

In reply to Paul Pearson

by Richard Lynch -
I'm creating completely new ones. I think these new problems would be wonderful if the book company allowed others to use them. They would add so many new and well formatted problems. However, I don't really know what the company plans to do though.

Rick
In reply to Richard Lynch

by Gavin LaRose -
Hi Rick et al.,

My understanding is that a subset of the problems for Holt's book will be released to the Problem Library (that is, on the order of 400). I believe that they are having somewhere around 1200 problems written, and intend to release some while keeping the remainder as a benefit for those adopting the text.

Gavin