OPL Maintenance

retagpg command line tool

retagpg command line tool

by Nandor Sieben -
Number of replies: 2
I attach a perl script that can be used to tag pg problems on the command line using the Taxonomy file. It shows the current fields and offers a menu to pick something new. This works with version 2.7 and the OPL.

retagpg name.pg         opens the menu
retagpg -c name.pg     checks the problem without the menu
In reply to Nandor Sieben

Re: retagpg command line tool

by Dick Lane -
Thanks, Nandor, for this contribution to our work for improving the OPL.

I am unclear about the scope you envision for this tool.  Who would use it?  In what library/repository would the revised files reside?  How would [suggested] changes propagate to the OPL?

FWiW: I agree with a decision to begin our clean-up with the DBsubject, DBchapter, DBsection tags.  I think Keywords are important, but regularizing them can be deferred.

Once again, thanks for this aid to making the OPL more useful.
In reply to Dick Lane

Re: retagpg command line tool

by Nandor Sieben -
> Who would use it?  

I use it to pick tags for a new problem before I add the problem to the NAU library. Problems are often written by instructors nor familiar with the tags and the Taxonomy. The use of the script makes spelling errors and missing tags less likely.

I also run the script in check mode to make sure the NAU library has no incorrect or missing tags. I can also run it on the whole OPL and find errors to report through bugzilla. (There are plenty of errors currently.)

> In what library/repository would the revised files reside?  

The user of the script can overwrite the tags and add missing tags in place. The old file is replaced by the updated file. This is a command line tool run by the webwork servers system administrator.

> How would [suggested] changes propagate to the OPL?

It's a bug fixing and new problem creation tool. System administrators can use it to make their new problems satisfy the OPL rules before they are put into the OPL.