WeBWorK Main Forum

Source file problem path disappears?

Source file problem path disappears?

by Teri Christiansen -
Number of replies: 4
Hi,
I have encountered this issue twice so far this semester.  Once on a homework set, and today on a gateway assignment.

Both times, the problem set was assigned, and a number of students had already completed work on the set.  Then (for unknown reasons), the path to the source file for a bunch of the problems just disappeared.  

Today, for example, I had a student taking a gateway quiz with no trouble. About one hour later (still well before the due date), I started to receive emails from students indicating that there was an error (source file unavailable).  When I opened the set in the HW Sets Editor, there were still 14 problems listed in the set, but only the first 7 had paths to the source file.  The rest were all blank.

Any ideas about why this might happen?

Thanks!
In reply to Teri Christiansen

Re: Source file problem path disappears?

by Danny Glin -
The one time I have seen something similar happen was when an instructor saved changes to a homework set before the page had finished loading.  In that circumstance, it saved the info that had already been loaded on the page, and blanked out all of the data that followed.  Not sure if this is what is happening in your case.

Danny
In reply to Danny Glin

by Teri Christiansen -
Thanks.  I don't think that this was the case today, because I'm not aware of any edits that were being made to the homework set during the time that the paths disappeared.  We did make edits to individual problems earlier in the day, but that was within the problem (fixing an error), and not within the actual homework set.  

In reply to Teri Christiansen

by Michael Gage -
I've also seen this reported before, although rarely, so it's not imaginary.  I haven't been able to duplicate it.  My conjecture is that it is caused by something similar to what Danny describes below.  

Do you have a webwork version number at the bottom of the page? If so could you give us that?  It will help us keep track of the bug and perhaps one day we'll be able to isolate what causes it.

-- Mike

In reply to Michael Gage

by Teri Christiansen -
Well, it's at least helpful to know I'm not crazy!  

I'm using version 2.7, and I have only noticed this behavior this semester (twice so far).  

Thanks!
-Teri