WeBWorK Problems

Adding Rogawski calculus probs to 2.7

Adding Rogawski calculus probs to 2.7

by Jim Fischer -
Number of replies: 7
I'm having trouble finding the directions for installing the Freeman Rogawski calculus problems so they can be easily searched. We are running webwork 2.7.

In version 2.4 we added these problems into the local directory accessible using library browser. We could search by chapter and section. I can't remember how to do this and can't find directions in the wiki.

Specifically want 2nd edition early transcendentals

Can someone point me in the right direction?

In reply to Jim Fischer

Re: Adding Rogawski calculus probs to 2.7

by Robin Cruz -

Hi, Jim,

First, you have to get the problems from the publisher. They sent us a compressed file. If you want to access the problems from one course, put the (un-compressed) Rogowski folder in the templates folder of the class. When you are in the Library browser, click on the "Local Problems" button. The problems are in folders which are named by section and will show up in the selection menu that way.

We generally set up problems like these in a separate folder in /opt/webwork called "Problems". Then we put a symlink to the problems in the templates folder of the courses. This way, if a problem needs fixing, it gets fixed for everyone.

Hope this helps--rac

In reply to Robin Cruz

by Jim Fischer -
Thanks Robin. This refreshes my memory, except the part about requesting to get problems from the publisher. It would be nice to have these somewhere easy to get.

Also, I think we put these in the model course so that future courses would all have access to them.

In reply to Jim Fischer

by Arnold Pizer -
Hi,

The publisher, W H Freeman, has put some of the Rogowski problems into the OPL.  Use the NPL Directory button (we should change that to OPL) and look under WHFreeman.   These are proprietary problems so it nice that Freeman has allowed everyone to use some of the problems. And it is not unreasonable that they are only giving the full set of problems to places that have adopted the Rogowski text.   

If you get the full set of problems from Freeman, you can add them to the OPL if you wish. If you do that, be sure to run the OPL-update script so that the problems are found when you do searches.

Arnie
In reply to Jim Fischer

by Robin Cruz -

Jim,

We put the problems in a different folder (outside the course folder) and use symlinks to the "Problems" folder in our model course. The symlink is carried over to new courses made from the model course--so all new courses will automatically be connected to the "Problems" folder. We found it advantageous to have changes to problems persist from semester to semester and to not have copies of the problem sets be in every course. It got too confusing to keep track of improvements or customizations.

This idea may not work so well at a larger school. We are small enough that we can OK changes to problems with everyone who teachs the course without much trouble. Also, if an instructor wants to make a change just for that course, the file can be saved in the "local" folder without impacting others.

Hope your term is going well--rac

In reply to Jim Fischer

by Louis Zulli -
About installing the private collection of problems created by WH Freeman---don't. The collection is full of poorly coded, badly written and incorrect problems. I was patching problems at a rate of two a day last Fall. Wasted hours of my time, and led to a great deal of frustration for my colleagues and our students.

We had switched from Stewart to Rogawski, in part because of the promise of having a WeBWorK collection that supported the text. But that collection proved to be nowhere near ready for use, and this semester we switched back to Stewart.

Install the WH Freeman private collection at your own peril. It's full of junk.
In reply to Louis Zulli

by Jim Fischer -
We were already using the Rogawski problems in earlier WW versions. Yes, we found that the problems were not always very good. But some were used to match the text and did work okay. We would like to get these problems accessible within WW 2.7 since some of our problem sets were imported from an earlier version of WW that did have Rogawski problems available. Im not sure how our ITS installed them two years ago, but I know we can access the problems from any course.

So I got the compressed file from Freeman. It is a *.zip file. When I try to upload into a Templates folder, WW does not recognize the *.zip file and does not unpack.

I guess I have a couple of questions.

1. How do I get the problems from the zip file into a course templates folder?
2. Are there instructions on the Wiki for creating sym links like what Robin used and mentioned above?

Thanks!

Jim

In reply to Jim Fischer

by Jim Fischer -
Here is one way to accomplish what I needed (thanks to Robin Cruz for showing me):

1. Unzip the Rowgawski problems folder in /opt/webwork/Problems

note1: the file names were ridiculously long so I renamed the folder and zipped, then unzipped again.

note2: you might need to create the folder Problems

2. Create a symbolic link (pointer) within the Templates folder in the course you want to access these problems (or possibly modelCourse if you want access to the problems in any course created)

To create the link, go to the Templates folder and use:

ln -s /opt/webwork/Problems <pointer name>

for example, I renamed the Rogawski set as: Rogawski_Calculus so I used:

ln -s /opt/webwork/Problems Rogawski_Calculus

The problem sets are now accessible using the "local folder" button in the browser.