Installation

wiki page(s): WeBWorK and Placement Testing

wiki page(s): WeBWorK and Placement Testing

by Dick Lane -
Number of replies: 0
I think it would be useful if our wiki had a section discussing ways for a school to establish and maintain a Placement Testing service using WeBWorK.

Our wiki has (thanks to Arnie Pizer) detailed instructions about installing WeBWorK.  Setting-up a Placement Testing system is apt to be more complicated and school-contexts are sufficiently varied that I think it reasonable to strive now for an outline synthesizing experience of those who have already done-the-deed and those currently planning to create an online placement test.  (Note: this is not a request for release of proprietary info such as a dept's list of problems.)  It may also be useful to establish intermediate goals, e.g., establish an optional set of R-U-ready-4-[topic] quizzes on prerequisites for precalculus and calculus, etc.

Summaries of my initial investigations and preliminary planning are posted at
        http://lennes.math.umt.edu/placement-webwork
The first document has a draft proposal for multi-stage work.  The first linked document has links to prior discussions of Placement Testing in our forums.  I would like to supplement my list of schools using WeBWorK for Placement Testing with some info about types of questions: e.g., all multiple choice, all constructed answer, ratio btwn m-c and c-a, multistage problems with several constructed answers, etc.  I will also welcome corrections and suggestions for improvements to any of my documents.