Installation

Email System Stopped Working

Email System Stopped Working

by Jim Fischer -
Number of replies: 6
WebWork 2.7

Our email system stopped working, it was working fine 24 hours ago. The problem is in both directions: (student ----> Instructor) and (Instructor ----> Students)

Maybe its a server issue or school email problem, but I would like to do some checking if I can. The school email seems to be functioning fine as I can send and receive. Are there some things I can do to determine where the fault is? I do have sudo access to the server, but I'm fairly new to server and WW maintenance.

The error we get is:

"Failed to open the mailer: connect() failed: Connection timed out"

Our ITS person, suggested we try the following and it did not have any affect:

sudo /etc/init.d/dns-clean restart

In reply to Jim Fischer

Re: Email System Stopped Working

by Danny Glin -
In my experience this is often caused by the sendmail daemon dying (assuming that's what your server is using for sending mail).

Try:
sudo service sendmail status

which should tell you if sendmail is running.  If it gives you an error, or tells you that sendmail is not running, do:
sudo service sendmail restart

Hope this helps.

Danny
In reply to Danny Glin

by Jim Fischer -
Thanks for the suggestion

I guess our server is not running this for sending mail. I got " unrecognized service" when checking status

In reply to Jim Fischer

by Bill Sadvary -
Sounds your server isn't "seeing" the mail server.  From your server, try TELNETing  to the mail server.

$ telnet yourmailserver.domain.edu 25

If you don't get connected, it may be a firewall issue either on yours or their end.

If you do connect, just type quit to get out and you've ruled out a connectivity issue.

You may have to install the telnet app, if not already installed. 
In reply to Bill Sadvary

by Lars Jensen -
Hi Jim,

If webwork mail worked before, this is likely not a local problem, but a school problem. Perhaps the school changed their smtp server configuration and restricted use? 

As far as I understand, then Webwork does not need a mail program (sendmail, exim4, postfix) installed on the webwork server if you use the school's smtp server for sending mail. In this case everything is handled by the webwork perl scripts and the school's smtp server.  All you need is to configure correctly the two lines

$mail{smtpServer} = smtp.school.edu
$mail{smtpSender} = your_email@school.edu

in the webwork configuration files. One additional thing you may need to check with your ITS is if, in their smtp server configuration, they has given permissions to your_email@school.edu to send mail from webwork server.

Lars.

In reply to Lars Jensen

by Danny Glin -
As a follow up to Lars's post…

If $mail{smtpServer} is set to a server name other than the WeBWorK server, then (as Lars suggests) you need to contact the people that manage that mail server.

If $mail{smtpServer} is set to 'localhost', then the WeBWorK server itself is handling the sending of mail.  This is the case that I was trying to troubleshoot.  In Red Hat and related flavours of linux, the default mail sender is sendmail, which is what my earlier suggestions were referring to.  I don't know if there are other standard smtp packages in other flavours of linux.  If so, these would have to be diagnosed separately.

Danny
In reply to Danny Glin

by Jim Fischer -
I meant to post this earlier. The problem was a firewall issue.  The ITS group at our school made firewall changes and did not update our WW server to accommodate these changes.  Everything is working fine now.