Installation

warning: status abbreviation ' ' not found in %statuses

warning: status abbreviation ' ' not found in %statuses

by Dick Lane -
Number of replies: 3
In 1 of 4 new courses, I get the following warning after completing some tasks.

status abbreviation ' ' not found in %statuses -- assuming no behaviors

Two of those warning lines appeared assigning a set to the whole class, four such lines were shown after broadcasting an email to the class.

Where should I look to identify the cause (and a fix)?
In reply to Dick Lane

Re: warning: status abbreviation ' ' not found in %statuses

by Danny Glin -
In this case status likely refers to the class list.  Check the Classlist Editor, and see if the status column is blank for any students.  If so, edit the students and change it to 'enrolled'.

That would be my guess.

Danny
In reply to Danny Glin

by Michael Gage -
Right.  You will also see this if the status is something like 'C ' when it should be 'C'.  (Some of the demoCourse.lst files had this typo.)   

Something that often works is to simply select the offending student entries, go to the edit page and check that the entries look correct and then save.  Entries such as 'C ' get rewritten as 'C' and there will be no further error messages.

Specifically WW recognizes 'C ' as 'C' but it is also alerting you that it is making some adjustments to input data, just in case it is making the wrong adjustments.
In reply to Dick Lane

by Dick Lane -
Danny & Mike --- THANKS !

Your diagnosis was exact.  The fix was easy (and confirmed by no warning for a subsequent assignment).

In hindsight, I created this scenario by adding two logins for a math-ed major who will aide discussions during my calculus class.  After creating the classlist file in my standard way, I appended two lines for her: one as a student, other as a TA --- both with status omitted.  I've since changed her status to Audit for both logins.

Residual:
  a) there is a wiki page with mildly misleading info that C is default status --- Mike's "making some adjustments" phrase clarifies that the warning affirms the default.

b) statistics need to be fixed because performance by an Audit is NOT omitted from the summary presentation.  (OTOH: I suspect the statistics module has deeper defects.)