Installation

ImageGenerator.pm issue (non-zero return)

ImageGenerator.pm issue (non-zero return)

by Miguel-Angel Manrique -
Number of replies: 2
Hello all.

This is the nature of the error: upon viewing any problem in the Demo homework set, WW reported several warnings/errors to do with lines 387, 388, 398, 402, and 410 of ImageGenerator.pm. I looked at these lines in ImageGenerator.pm but I wasn't able to figure out what the problem was.

There were references to LaTeX in that part of ImageGenerator.pm, so thinking the problem was with texlive, I opted to install remove all packages that started with "tex..." and installed texlive-full.

Here are some screenshots of the problem:

Upon first load...

imagegen-error1.jpg

After pressing Ctrl + Shift + R...

imagegen-error1-after_refresh.jpg

And lastly, after one more Ctrl+Shift+R...

imagegen-error_gone.jpg

I screenshotted from different problems---forgive me---but the error relents no matter which problem I look at (provided that it is WW's first attempt at displaying the problem).

For the record, I also had issues with Library2 unable to add problems to a homework set. I enabled Library1 and was able to get around that issue.

Oh, I don't think there are issues with permissions. I followed the 2.7 Ubuntu manual very closely, although I didn't name my root user 'wwadmin'. Here is a screenshot of a relevant ls:

ww2-permissions.jpgPlease let me know if any more screenshots would be helpful!

I am running Ubuntu 12.04 64bit on an OpenVZ (I think) VPS. School starts on Monday... please help!

Thank you..
In reply to Miguel-Angel Manrique

Re: ImageGenerator.pm issue (non-zero return)

by Miguel-Angel Manrique -
As a remark, Perl shell is giving me tons of errors (seems like hundreds of them) such as

Running install for module 'mod_perl2'
Running make for P/PH/PHRED/mod_perl-2.0.8.tar.gz
Checksum for /root/.cpan/sources/authors/id/P/PH/PHRED/mod_perl-2.0.8.tar.gz ok
Uncompressed /root/.cpan/sources/authors/id/P/PH/PHRED/mod_perl-2.0.8.tar.gz successfully
Using Tar:/bin/tar xf "mod_perl-2.0.8.tar":
Couldn't untar mod_perl-2.0.8.tar: 'Cannot allocate memory'
Package seems to come without Makefile.PL.
(The test -f "/root/.cpan/build/PHRED-UjtMgg/Makefile.PL" returned false.)
Writing one on our own (setting NAME to mod_perl2)
Had problems unarchiving. Please build manually
Running make test
Make had some problems, won't test
Running make install
Make had some problems, won't install

I've backed up the .conf files, so I think I will use a script to install WW, and then patch in my conf files. It was nice studying ImageGenerator.pm, etc.

I am starting to think this one is user error. . Will report back if anything interesting happens.

In reply to Miguel-Angel Manrique

Re: ImageGenerator.pm issue (non-zero return)

by John Jones -
Several places say that a command could not allocate memory.  You could run top to see if the RAM is being exhausted by something.  Also check to see that your hard disk partitions have space available ("df -h").

John