WeBWorK Problems

Number of matching problems in OPL

Number of matching problems in OPL

by Benjamin Hutz -
Number of replies: 3
We started using Webwork on campus this semester with a brand new install (by me), but there is a weird discrepancy in the number of problems in the library.

When I select a topic say

Calculus - single variable -> Limits and continuity -> Rules of limits - basic

I get some number of matching problems, 61 in this case. When I view those problems there are fewer, 33 in this case. This happens for most (if not all) topics. One of those must be wrong. Which one and how do I fix it?

Thanks,
Ben
In reply to Benjamin Hutz

Re: Number of matching problems in OPL

by Alex Jordan -
Hi Ben,

I think this is what you are seeing. There are 61 problems total, but a lot of them are essentially repeats. Often, one school coded a problem from a book, then another school coded the same problem or modified code from the first version, and that got donated to the OPL.

Recently a team identified all these duplications for single variable calculus, and added metadata to the files to keep all this accounted for. When you view the problems and see 33, some of them have an "M" icon that you can click to see the multiple different versions. I think the ones with an "M" are also outlined. If you opened up all these M's, you would see all 61 problems.

In reply to Benjamin Hutz

Re: Number of matching problems in OPL

by John Jones -
In short, there are groups of very similar problems and the system is initially showing just one problem from each group.  You can see the others if you want.

Above each problem is a line of icons.  Some have an M (and those problems should each be outlined visually with a thin black border if your webwork is the most recent).  Click on the M and it will open up to show additional problems which are very similar to the first one.  Also, the M becomes an L, and clicking on the L hides the additional problems.  If you hover your mouse above the M you can see how many problems are in hidden in that problem group.

John