WeBWorK Main Forum

**AUTOMATIC** student account generation and password recovery possible?

**AUTOMATIC** student account generation and password recovery possible?

by Christian Seberino -
Number of replies: 2
Rather than manually creating student accounts and manually
resetting passwords.....is it possible to have those 2 chores
done automatically like Facebook, Amazon, Google and countless
other sites do?

cs
In reply to Christian Seberino

Re: **AUTOMATIC** student account generation and password recovery possible?

by Christian Seberino -
What about this....I can set up a separate system to handle account and password management and then have that separate server app do that necessary work on the command line when talking to WebWork?

cs
In reply to Christian Seberino

Re: **AUTOMATIC** student account generation and password recovery possible?

by Alex Jordan -
Maybe this is a basic thing that automatic account generation techniques deal with, but I worry about a malicious user creating thousands of accounts to execute a DoS attack. This is what stopped me from pursuing this kind of idea earlier this year. I didn't want to get into how I would prevent that kind of thing and how I would do testing to confirm that it worked.

For password resetting, I just have an tangential comment/observation to share. These days, when a student tells me that their password isn't working, 9 times out of 10 it is actually their user_id that is incorrect, because they are using a smartphone or tablet or something that wants to autocapitalize their login name. For some, even manually correcting this auto capitalization can leave a space character at the end of the user name, which will also be rejected. I wonder if there is a way to tag the login field in a way that will prevent the phone browsers to auto capitalize.