WeBWorK Problems

Email problem with Questionaire

Email problem with Questionaire

by Curtis Card -
Number of replies: 1

I'm getting the following error message when students attempt to submit the questionaire.  It doesn't always do this, sometimes the form is mailed to me.

Any help would be appreciated as I really would like to get student feedback on using WeBWorK.

Thanks
Curtis

WeBWorK error

An error occured while processing your request. For help, please send mail to this site's webmaster (root@localhost), including all of the following information as well as what what you were doing when the error occured.

Wed Dec 12 14:33:42 2007

Warning messages

Error messages

failed to create Net::SMTP object at /opt/webwork/webwork2/lib/WeBWorK/Utils/DelayedMailer.pm line 91.

Call stack

The information below can help locate the source of the problem.

• in WeBWorK::PG::Local::new called at line 52 of /opt/webwork/webwork2/lib/WeBWorK/PG.pm
  • in WeBWorK::PG::new called at line 616 of /opt/webwork/webwork2/lib/WeBWorK/ContentGenerator/Problem.pm
  • in WeBWorK::ContentGenerator::Problem::pre_header_initialize called at line 169 of /opt/webwork/webwork2/lib/WeBWorK/ContentGenerator.pm
  • in WeBWorK::ContentGenerator::go called at line 338 of /opt/webwork/webwork2/lib/WeBWorK.pm

Request information

Method POST
URI /webwork2/Math225/WeBWorKEvaluation/1/
HTTP Headers
User-Agent Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 5.1; (R1 1.5); .NET CLR 1.0.3705; Media Center PC 4.0; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.0.04506.648; .NET CLR 3.5.21022)
Accept image/gif, image/x-xbitmap, image/jpeg, image/pjpeg, application/x-shockwave-flash, application/vnd.ms-excel, application/vnd.ms-powerpoint, application/msword, application/x-ms-application, application/x-ms-xbap, application/vnd.ms-xpsdocument, application/xaml+xml, application/x-silverlight, */*
Connection Keep-Alive
UA-CPU x86
Referer http://newton.bhsu.edu/webwork2/Math225/WeBWorKEvaluation/1/?effectiveUser=curtiscard&displayMode=images&user=curtiscard&key=ogBLjbk5fHvHB4VSQANgMCv6rSxQTQSK
Content-Length 5690
Cache-Control no-cache
Accept-Encoding gzip, deflate
Content-Type multipart/form-data; boundary=---------------------------7d73992e560346
Cookie WeBWorKCourseAuthen.Math225=curtiscard%09ogBLjbk5fHvHB4VSQANgMCv6rSxQTQSK; __utma=67382338.1838256829.1158613864.1197294574.1197318583.165; __utmz=67382338.1197294574.164.27.utmccn=(referral)|utmcsr=math.bhsu.edu|utmcct=/~ccard/christmashomepage2007.html|utmcmd=referral; MOODLEID_=%25E2%25C8%2513E%25BD
Accept-Language en-us
Host newton.bhsu.edu

In reply to Curtis Card

Re: Email problem with Questionaire

by Michael Gage -
Hi Curtis,

I checked with Sam Hathaway about this. His comments:

This is most likely due to the server being unreachable. The code in
question is in webwork2/lib/WeBWorK/Utils/DelayedMailer.pm line 91-92:

my $smtp = new Net::SMTP($$self{smtp_server}, Timeout=>10)
or die "failed to create Net::SMTP object";

Net::SMTP doesn't set any status codes, but we could get a better error
on STDERR (goes to the apache error log) from the Debug=>1 flag. Change
the above lines to:

my $smtp = new Net::SMTP($$self{smtp_server}, Timeout=>10, Debug=>1)

or die "failed to create Net::SMTP object";

You might also try increasing the timeout to 20 or more from 10 in case the mail server is slow rather than overloaded. At the very least this should give you a more complete information about the difficulty. You will probably need to discuss the problem with whoever is maintaining the mail server that WeBWorK is using. (If you have more than one mail server available, then switching the mail server might provide a short term fix. The mail server is specified in webwork2/conf/global.conf.)

Hope this helps.

-- Mike