PREP 2014 Question Authoring - Archived

Problem downloading a homework set for reuse elsewhere

Problem downloading a homework set for reuse elsewhere

by Susanna Epp -
Number of replies: 10
The attached document contains images showing what I did and the resulting screens.
In reply to Susanna Epp

Re: Problem downloading a homework set for reuse elsewhere

by Davide Cervone -
It appears that you are downloading the File Manager web page rather than the set definition file. When you say you "clicked download" did you click the blue "download" button in the column of blue buttons to the right of the file list, or did you use a right menu click to find a download link? I suspect the latter, but you need to do the former.

Let us know if that is not it.
In reply to Davide Cervone

by Susanna Epp -
I used the blue "Download" button in the columnn of blue buttons to the right of the file list.
In reply to Susanna Epp

by Hedley Pinsent -
Was it a "Left" click?

Attached is what I see ( using Linux)

Also try notes.teabun.ca ; it s a work in progress.

hp

Attachment download.png
In reply to Hedley Pinsent

by Susanna Epp -
Yes, I do left-click on "Download". Also I checked out notes.teabun.ca, but all it says is that Download should work as usual.
When I tried clicking on "Download" in the File Manager using Chrome, things looked promising at first because I was prompted to save the file as type *.def. But when I did so, all I got was this:
openDate = 10/17/2012 at 08:00pm CDT
dueDate = 10/17/2012 at 11:00pm CDT
answerDate = 11/07/2014 at 10:00pm CST
paperHeaderFile = defaultHeader
screenHeaderFile = defaultHeader
description =
problemList =
local/setA13_660_Chapter_8/Match-RelationProperties.pg, 1, 3
local/setRelations/SymmetricDefinition.pg, 1, 3
local/setRelations/NotSymmetricDefinition.pg, 1, 6
local/setRelations/TestingProperties1.pg, 2, 10
local/setA13_660_Chapter_8/True-False-RelationProperties.pg, 1, 14

In reply to Susanna Epp

by Susanna Epp -
Out of curiosity, I tried the export-and-download process starting from our PREP workshop website rather than the site from my own WeBWork course, but the same problem occurred.
In reply to Susanna Epp

by Hedley Pinsent -
Yes, Chrome (on windows) seems to have a slight different take on things; a lot of automation.

This time, I varied it unnecessarily by making an archive; you would usually be doing it this way as, more commonly, you are interested in more than one assignment.  

Examine the screenshot attached; I suspect it is some little thing that you are doing differently.

hp
Attachment downloadProblem2.png
In reply to Hedley Pinsent

by Hedley Pinsent -
Oh ... I guess finding the file for upload is not a trivial feat either.

This depends on what Chrome is doing, and if we are going to use Chrome we need to figure it out.

Vista is my username on this windows (I was lacking imagination that day); I could have easily been tom dick or harry.

It seems that the file would be found in the downloads directory under your username.

Screenshot it attached.

hp
Attachment findFileForUpload.png
In reply to Susanna Epp

by Davide Cervone -
But when I did so, all I got was this:

openDate = 10/17/2012 at 08:00pm CDT
dueDate = 10/17/2012 at 11:00pm CDT
answerDate = 11/07/2014 at 10:00pm CST
paperHeaderFile = defaultHeader
screenHeaderFile = defaultHeader
description = 
problemList = 
local/setA13_660_Chapter_8/Match-RelationProperties.pg, 1, 3 
local/setRelations/SymmetricDefinition.pg, 1, 3 
local/setRelations/NotSymmetricDefinition.pg, 1, 6 
local/setRelations/TestingProperties1.pg, 2, 10 
local/setA13_660_Chapter_8/True-False-RelationProperties.pg, 1, 14 

This is correct. That is what a .def file looks like. Note that the .def file only includes the names of the files it uses, not the contents of the files. If you want to move the files from your local and local/setRelations directories, you will need to make an archive of them and download that separately.

There currently isn't any mechanism to collect all the resources used in a problem set and bundle them all up, but some recent changes to the PG programming language should allow that to be done. No one has yet taken advantage of them to make the needed tool, however.

In reply to Davide Cervone

by Susanna Epp -
Thanks, David. This is a helpful reply. By the way, in case others are interested, here is the way to get the .pg files so that they can be downloaded. In File Manager, "templates" comes up automatically. Click on "local" and then click on the name of the set whose problems you want to download to see the names of the .pg files. At that point it should be possible to make them into an archive.
In reply to Susanna Epp

by Davide Cervone -
It's also possible to make an archive of a whole directory by selecting the directory (but not double-clicking, so you don't view the directory contents, but just select the directory name in its parent directory). Then use the "Make Archive" button to archive the whole directory.

You can also combine several files or directories into a single archive by selecting all the files and directories that you want and clicking "Make Archive".