Installation

OPL Library issue

OPL Library issue

by John Nicoletti -
Number of replies: 12
Hello,

I am working with one of our Math Professors to setup WebWork for the departments use. The installation went pretty smooth, following the wiki. However, I have run into an issue with the OPL. 

When creating the homework set, we can see the OPL, as in we see a list of topics/chapters. However, when you click on one, it does not show any problems in the set. We can only see the topics in the drop down, but all of them show empty problem sets. 

Has anyone seen this issue before and know what can be causing it?

Thank you,
John Nicoletti
Network Admin
Mount Saint Mary College
In reply to John Nicoletti

Re: OPL Library issue

by John Jones -
Hi,

If I understand your message, you are in the initial state of the Library Browser (so the button "Open Problem Library" is disabled, because it is selected by default), you pick a "subject", get a list of "chapters", pick one of them and the "sections" menu is filled, you pick something there, it says that there are x matching WeBWorK problems (with x>0), and then nothing happens.  Is that right?  If so, you just need to click on "View Problems".

If it is saying there are 0 matching problems, you should run OPL-update (from webwork2/bin).

John

In reply to John Jones

by John Nicoletti -
John,

Thank you for the reply. That is correct. If I go to:

Library Browser > Click OPL > Select Subject, Chapter and Section

When I hit view problems, it ALWAYS says "There are no matching Webwork Problems" - It doesn't matter what section I hit.

I will attempt the OPL-update and report back.

Thanks!
John

by John Nicoletti -
Here is the result of running OPL-update:

Attachment Screen_Shot_2014-08-08_at_9.57.49_AM.png

by Hedley Pinsent -

Recursive links are easy to have and are trouble.
It is a symbolic link inside a directory back to the same directory.
Check the links in the open problem library; you can right-click on them to see where they point; delete any that should not be there (recursive)

The link below shows the trouble that a recursive link inside CAPA caused the library browser; obviously you situation is different.

http://webwork.maa.org/moodle/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=2776

just a guess - hp

by John Jones -
This definitely pinpoints the problem.  Delete the recursive link and rerun OPL-update.

John

In reply to John Jones

by John Nicoletti -
I'm a bit confused...Where does this symbolic link live/where can I find it so I can remove it? I don't recall setting up a symbolic link for anything? The only real modification I did was mount a secondary disk drive as a folder 'webwork' and put all of the content in there, so it's not on the same drive as the OS.

Thanks,
John

by Danny Glin -
Where is the secondary disk mounted (what path)?

If you run `ls -l` on a directory, symbolic links will show up with an l as the first character on the left.  You can check for these and then remove them as you would any other file.

Based on the error message, it looks like you have a link to OpenProblemLibrary inside the /webworks/opt/webwork/libraries/webwork-open-problem-library/OpenProblemLibrary directory (i.e. OpenProblemLibrary within OpenProblemLibrary).  If this is a symbolic link, it should be deleted.
In reply to Danny Glin

by John Nicoletti -
Perfect!! That was the key! The OPL is now working...sort of!

I confirmed that we no can see problems. However, when the professor uses the OPL, we is seeing WebWork Warnings. Here is a direct quote from Mike Daven in regards to what he is seeing, as well as the image he sent me:

"I am seeing this error box when I browse the OPL – change the chapter/subject/section, then “View Problems”, and this appears at the bottom of the page where problems are displayed.  The same error box appears when I view the problems directly... It looks like the errors are the same every way I’ve looked at this – “chromatic.pm” and “color.c” and the location lines seems consistent wherever I’ve looked."

The image is attached.

Thank you again!

John

Attachment ww_error_copy_2.jpg

by Arnold Pizer -
Look at http://webwork.maa.org/wiki/Installation_Manual_for_2.9_on_Ubuntu_14.04#Compile_color.c
In reply to Arnold Pizer

by John Nicoletti -
Thanks! I gave it a shot. I'll reach out to the professor to test it for me and I will report back.