WeBWorK Main Forum

Easiest way to move students' exam work and scores (for 1 exam only) between 2 Webwork servers?

Easiest way to move students' exam work and scores (for 1 exam only) between 2 Webwork servers?

by Christian Seberino -
Number of replies: 4
For exams I use a second Webwork server with more memory.
(Courses and students are the same on both Webwork servers.)

What is easiest way to copy/transfer the exam work and scores to the
other Webwork server?

Thanks,

cs
In reply to Christian Seberino

Re: Easiest way to move students' exam work and scores (for 1 exam only) between 2 Webwork servers?

by Danny Glin -
In the past I have done this with raw mysql commands, which is a little dangerous since mistyping a command could overwrite or delete other data.

If you're willing to brave this, then can give more detailed instructions.

Have you considered having your exam server use the database on the other WeBWorK server?  This way you would not have to copy any data.
In reply to Danny Glin

Re: Easiest way to move students' exam work and scores (for 1 exam only) between 2 Webwork servers?

by Darwyn Cook -
Ah, so simple. We can rewrite the set def files for these instructors to point to the OPL version of the problem. A bit of work, but doable with a script.
In reply to Darwyn Cook

by Darwyn Cook -
I actually responded to the wrong thread above. My internet training wheels are coming off next week.
In reply to Danny Glin

by Gavin LaRose -
Hi Danny and Darwyn,

I've also done what Danny has and used mysql commands to copy homework and test data. My administration script also does this; I've updated it to include that code (see wwManage). The subroutine that does the data copying is called copyWork at line 2432 in the script.

Gavin