WeBWorK Main Forum

roles and permissions

roles and permissions

by Darwyn Cook -
Number of replies: 3
We have some local high schools offering our calculus course for credit. They are using, or are supposed to be using, WeBWorK assignments that we have designed.

It would be nice if there was a way to give the teachers a role in the course where they could have all of the permissions that a professor has except the ability to modify problems and change problems in a set definition file. Looking through the permissions in defaults.config, it doesn't look like this is possible?

Is there another work around? I could change permissions on the server, but that seems a bit heavy handed.
In reply to Darwyn Cook

Re: roles and permissions

by Gavin LaRose -
Hi Darwyn,

We do something vaguely similar here, where we don't want course instructors to change the set characteristics once they're set at the beginning of the term. Our solution is to change the "ta" role so that it has most of the permissions usually associated with "professors," excluding creating and modifying problem sets, and then to use that for our course instructors. If you're not using the "ta" role elsewhere you might be able to appropriate that and just reset the permissions in the permissionLevels hash (I'm looking at the defaults.config, approximately line 600, though that may be different for you).

Obviously, changes to that would want to be in your localOverrides.conf file. I don't know if that would do what you want (and the "TA" verbiage on some pages is then slightly misleading), but it might be an easy approximate work-around.

Gavin

In reply to Gavin LaRose

by Darwyn Cook -
I had considered something similar, I was actually considering creating a new role called instructor to do the same thing. Can your course instructors change due dates? We would want ours to be able to do that, and I did not see anything in the hash that would allow someone to change due dates and nothing else.
In reply to Darwyn Cook

by Gavin LaRose -
Hi Darwyn,

Our instructors cannot change due dates (that's actually one of the things that we explicitly want to disallow). We've found, essentially, that the granularity of the existing permissions is close enough for us to make it work.

Gavin