WeBWorK Main Forum

"reduced scoring date" error

"reduced scoring date" error

by Alasdair McAndrew -
Number of replies: 8
In an attempt to edit the due dates of a gateway quiz, I received the error:
The reduced scoring date should be between the open date and due date. No changes were saved!
However, in my course admin, I have set the reduced scoring period to be 0, and indeed "Enable reduced scoring" has been set to False. Given this, why do I still receive the above error, and how can I avoid it?

Thanks,
Alasdair
In reply to Alasdair McAndrew

Re: "reduced scoring date" error

by Arnold Pizer -
Hi Alasdair,

Can you be very explicit about all the settings you have set to be able to duplicate this error.  Also what versions of WeBWorK are you using, e.g.
WeBWorK © 1996-2014 | theme: math4 | ww_version: 2.9 | pg_version: 2.9| The WeBWorK Project

Thanks,

Arnie
In reply to Arnold Pizer

by Alasdair McAndrew -
Hi Arnold,

Many thanks for your reply.

According to the bottom of my screen:

WeBWorK © 1996-2014 | theme: math4 | ww_version: develop | pg_version: 2.9| The WeBWorK Project

I'm not quite sure which settings I've changed from the default - is there an easy way to dig into the file system and do a diff on some configuration files?

Thanks again,
Alasdair

by Arnold Pizer -
Hi Alasdair,

As for configuration files, the files course.conf and simple.conf (if it exists) in your course directory give things for the course.  In the /opt/webwork/webwork2/conf directory you should not have changed defaults.conf and you can do a diff on site.conf.dist and site.conf and on localOverrides.conf.dist and localOverrides.conf

I'll let the guys working on the develop version handle this. If you have a ww_version: 2.9, does it exhibit the same behavior?

Arnie
In reply to Arnold Pizer

by Alasdair McAndrew -
There's nothing in any of the configuration files which would indicate a problem, unless it's related to my timezone, which I've set to "Australia/Melbourne" with locale set to "en_AU.utf-8".

The only place reduced scoring seems to turn up is in /opt/webwork/webwork2/conf/defaults.config where it is set to zero:

enableReducedScoring => 0,

The directory /opt/webwork/courses/ENF1101_2_2014/scoring is empty.

I can dig into the mySQL databases with phpMyAdmin but I haven't found anything wrong there, either. (Not that I've searched too hard!)

I'm not quite sure what I've done to spark this behaviour - but it means that my ability to use WeBWorK is suddenly very limited!

Thanks,
Alasdair

by Arnold Pizer -
Hi Alasdair,

In my devel setup I tried setting the timezone to "Australia/Melbourne" with locale set to "en_AU.utf-8" in site.conf. I didn't do it the way you did since I still have the original problem you did with times being displayed as EST. But I do not get the reduced scoring error.

Of course devel is under active development so we may not be running the same code. I assume that originally you did not have a problem and then made some changes (probably minor) and the problem appeared. Is that correct?

Do your sets have reasonable open and due dates? Have you tried setting up reduced scoring to see what happens? Obviously I'm not being too helpful here.

Arnie
In reply to Arnold Pizer

by Alasdair McAndrew -
Thank you again for your time and trouble.

I think I can get round it for now by using the WeBWorK3 menus; at least when I use these I don't get errors.

I think your idea of actually setting a reduced scoring date might be worth trying!

I'm not using the "devel" code by design; I just ran Jason Aubrey's "ww_install" script for WeBWorK 2.9 and Ubuntu 14.04. And I just followed the default settings (except for things like usernames and passwords).

-Alasdair

by Alex Jordan -
Try enabling reduced scoring globally for the course. You can still leave the period as 0, and not enable it for any of your problem sets. There was a similar bug at one point, and this was a workaround.

by Michael Gage -
You can switch pretty quickly between one version of WeBWorK and another (once you are using version 2.7 or greater).  See the directions at 

In the newest branches of WeBWorK are master (release/2.9) and develop and ww3 (active development of the instructor AJAX interface).

You can track development visually at https://github.com/openwebwork/webwork2/network
and more generally by watching "issues" and "pull requests" at https://github.com/openwebwork/webwork2 and https://github.com/openwebwork/pg

Let us know if you find what is triggering the reduced scoring message and what does not. Better yet report it as a bug to bugzilla (use "report bug" link in WeBWorK).  The error message is coming from line 1031 of ProblemSetDetail.pm but it is unclear where the reduced scoring date is being set.