WeBWorK Problems

Automatically randomizing problem when I press enter on an answer blank

Automatically randomizing problem when I press enter on an answer blank

by Paul Seeburger -
Number of replies: 3

This may not be a big deal, but when I press enter on an answer blank and the "Get a new version of this problem" button is displayed (from problemRandomize.pl), instead of Preview being the default behavior, the problem is randomized instead. [Of course this will only affect students after they have received credit for the problem, but it is still surprising and not the expected result for pressing enter on an answer blank.]

Is there any way to avoid this behavior? Perhaps to set a default event when enter is pressed?

Thanks!

Paul

In reply to Paul Seeburger

Re: Automatically randomizing problem when I press enter on an answer blank

by Dick Lane -
It appears default behavior for Enter is to invoke the first button displayed below the problem statement.  E.g., while logged-in as a pseudo-student and viewing a problem with Preview and Submit buttons (but no New Version), using the Enter key causes Preview to be invoked.
In reply to Dick Lane

by Paul Seeburger -

Yes, Dick, this is what I thought as well.

Perhaps there is a way to position the New verion of the problem button below the Preview and Check Answers buttons?

Even last may be better than first in this case, for this reason.

Paul

In reply to Paul Seeburger

by Paul Seeburger -
To eliminate this problem I chose to use the Checkbox option of selecting to see a new version of the problem instead of the button.

But for future development, it would be helpful to change the placement of the button for this feature (or make it not be the default action on pressing enter in an answer blank.

Paul