PREP 2014 Question Authoring - Archived

using student answers to generate output

using student answers to generate output

by Joel Trussell -
Number of replies: 2
I thought I heard that we can create responses based on the students' answers to parts of a problem. I can't find the reference. I can use the student's answer to a problem to generate a dynamic graph? I know I can direct the student to a different problem but can I display a graph or equation and ask a follow-up question? 
In reply to Joel Trussell

Re: using student answers to generate output

by Chrissy Safranski -
Here's the link to wiki page on it:

http://webwork.maa.org/wiki/Scaffolding1#.VCBxG_ldVJM

I used one of these problems (without modifying) in a homework set a few weeks ago, so if you find it easier to modify from one of those, here's the library location:

Library/Rochester/instructiveProblems/ConditionalQuestion.pg

I'm sure there are others, too.

Those show the basic setup.  I would think that you can generate a graph and do anything in the second section that you normally do in a problem, but I haven't tried it myself.  The Rochester one used the correct answer in the second section, which only displayed after the student had entered it in the first section.  If that's what you want to do, it should be the same.  If you want to allow any student answer and generate a follow-up question, I would try creating a custom checker where you always return 1, and in which you also set a variable equal to the student answer so that you can use that variable later on outside of the custom checker.  Again, I haven't tried it, but that would be my way of attacking it.  
In reply to Chrissy Safranski

Re: using student answers to generate output

by Joel Trussell -
Scaffolding looks like it might work. How do I access the student answer? In order to set a variable equal to it, if it doesn't have to be the correct answer.
I checked 
http://webwork.maa.org/wiki/Custom_Answer_Checkers#.VCCWdRburvY 
but could understand how. 

Example: part 1 - student chooses a frequency F for a sinusoid (1<= F <= 10). 
I'll accept any answer as correct if it is in the interval [1,10]. 
part 2 - I draw a graph using the student's frequency F + dF, a random number and ask the student if this is the correct graph. If dF = 0, it is, if dF != 0 it is not. 
this is not the complex problem that I'd use but it illustrates the concepts I'm after. 
thanks!!