WeBWorK Main Forum

Why even non-proctored exams asking for proctor passwords?

by Christian Seberino -
Number of replies: 6

I selected both proctored and non-proctored exam choices and they
BOTH seems to insist on proctor passwords.  The only difference
was the proctored version also had another level of passwords to *grade* the test.

Is this normal now?

cs
In reply to Christian Seberino

Re: Why even non-proctored exams asking for proctor passwords?

by Alasdair McAndrew -
This is a problem that seems to have been happening to a few people, and nobody yet has tracked down the reason, as far as I know.

What I have done is to create a proctor account (with login and password: proctor). Then when the students are asked to enter proctor information, there's something to bung in.

I found that when I set homework as "proctored", students would be asked to enter a proctor password. And when I edited that set to be unproctored, students would then be asked for both proctor login and password. Confusing, isn't it?

I find this sort of thing very tricky. (I also had problems with reduced scoring, even though I hadn't set it, in that homework sets wouldn't be saved because of my supposedly incorrect reduced scoring times. To get round that issue I allowed reduced scoring for 1 minute, and WW seemed happy enough.)

I think that there are some glitches with the recent version of Perl and how WW uses it, in that many issues seem to crop up randomly, and the only way to stop them completely is with some sort of hack. I would like to see WW rewritten in something other than Perl, but that's very unlikely to happen.
In reply to Alasdair McAndrew

by Christian Seberino -
> I found that when I set homework as "proctored", students would be asked to 
> enter a proctor password. And when I edited that set to be unproctored, 
> students would then be asked for both proctor login and password. Confusing, > isn't it?

That's what I see too.

Wow.....millions of people use Perl so I'm surprised it hasn't been debugged yet.

The problem is reproducible right?  Seems it would be possible to slowly remove components and keep reproducing problem to isolate the culprit but what do I know.

by Christian Seberino -
There is a fix for this bug now that has been checked in.

by Alan Ableson -
That's great news Christian!

Just to confirm, is that check-in working its way into the github code base? (Today, checking the Webwork github 'master' branch of webwork2 and pg repositories, I didn't see any commits since Sep 22nd, which were for the read_whole_problem bug.)

Thanks,

Alan

In reply to Alan Ableson

by Christian Seberino -
Talk to Goehle for details.  Here is how to pull this fix...

git pull https://github.com/goehle/webwork2.git gatewaybug

by Alan Ableson -
Thanks Christian. I waited until this weekend (holiday weekend in Canada, so low student traffic) to try the pull of Goehle's fix. The patch went on today though and everything seems to be working correctly. Thanks for letting us know about the fix being available!

Cheers,

Alan