WeBWorK Problems

Wrong answers in library problems

Wrong answers in library problems

by Chrissy Safranski -
Number of replies: 8
It happens rarely, but occasionally (I think 3 times in the past 1.5 years) I have found errors in library problem answers.  This time, I used the report bug button, signed up for a bugzilla account, and reported it there.  Is that still the best way to get a library problem fixed or is there a better method?
In reply to Chrissy Safranski

Re: Wrong answers in library problems

by Alex Jordan -
The ideal thing to do is to fix the code issue yourself, if you feel at all comfortable with editing pg code. Usually if it just an incorrect answer, you can find a simple change to make that will fix the issue.

But how do you submit changes up the chain to WeBWorK HQ? I think we should write some very explicit instructions on the wiki about how to do this using git. To get the most assistance from general WeBWorK-using faculty, we should write the instructions assuming that they know nothing about git or working from a command line.
In reply to Alex Jordan

by Chrissy Safranski -
I fixed it for my homework set in my course, but that just makes a local copy.  I was wanting to make sure it got fixed for everyone else.  

I've worked from a command line before in undergrad, but that was a while ago.  The few times I've had to get a .pl file or something from github, I view the raw text, and copy and save it with the right name, because I have no idea how to actually use git.  And it took me a lot of time searching for info on how to use git to realize that "Raw" meant full text.  

by Michael Gage -
For some information on git type "git" into the search box at 

The help pages at github.com   are a very good source of information.
Git has a learning curve -- but you don't have to learn everything about it fortunately.

by John Jones -
I think this is the best course of action (bugzilla report).  The bugzilla queue is watched, and I think bugs are fixed pretty quickly.

I would hold off on the do it yourself approach unless you are see large numbers of problems which need to be fixed.  For one problem every few months, it is less hassle for everyone to just report it to bugzilla.

John

In reply to John Jones

by Chrissy Safranski -
Thanks!  I wasn't sure it was still watched because it looked like there were a lot of bugs that weren't marked fixed.  But I've never used Bugzilla before, so maybe I wasn't reading it right.  

by Michael Gage -
The pg question bugs are being handled promptly by John Jones and Paul Pearson.

The other bugs .... -- well let's just say we could use some more man power :-)

by Chrissy Safranski -
Another question related to this.  I got emails from bugzilla that someone else reported the same error on Oct 9, 2014, and it was fixed, so mine was a duplicate report. Why then did I have the old version of the problem?  Does it not take effect unless our administrator updates the problem library or is there something else to do?  

by Michael Gage -
The library needs to be updated.  And the  

webwork2/bin/OPL-update

script should be run.

-- Mike