WeBWorK Main Forum

Trouble with dates and times and timezones

Trouble with dates and times and timezones

by Alasdair McAndrew -
Number of replies: 1

In my Course Configuration, I have the timezone set to Australia/Melbourne (which is where I am!).  However, the system still gets confused.  I set the ending time for a homework set to be 11.59pm on a Sunday (say March 29), and on the "Hmwk Sets Editor" page the end time is said to be

"03/30/2015 at 03:59pm EST"

which may be correct... however I am confused as to whether the system is actually correctly using my timezone or not.  I would have though that after setting the timezone, every date would be given in that timezone.

It also seems that once I set a test to be open "Now" the system does some internal wrangling and often waits for half a day until its internal timezone catches up.  Certainly students have complained that they have been unable to access a test even after I set it to be open.

How can I configure WeBWorK so that all times and dates can be set and are used correctly in my current timezone?

Thanks,
Alasdair
In reply to Alasdair McAndrew

Re: Trouble with dates and times and timezones

by Gavin LaRose -
Hi Alasdair,

I don't have experience with any errors in timezone configuration in WeBWorK, so I don't know if I can be any help. I just installed 2.10 on one of our servers, and set the timezone in the site.conf file, not in the course configuration. I don't know what would happen if you had a different timezone in the course configuration and site.conf file, but wonder if that's what's happening here.

For whatever it's worth, the timezone in the default sites.conf.dist is America/New York.

Gavin