PREP 2015 Question Authoring - Archived

Randomizing the order of the questions

Randomizing the order of the questions

by Daniele Arcara -
Number of replies: 2
If I prepared an assignment with 10 questions, is there a way to randomize the order of the questions so that different students will see them in different order? I saw an option for a Gateway Test/Quiz, but, from what I understood, that is not quite what I want. I would want each individual student to always see the ten questions in the same order they see them the first time they access the assignment, but I would want the order to be different for each student. Is that possible? Thank you for all the help!
In reply to Daniele Arcara

Re: Randomizing the order of the questions

by Davide Cervone -
Many (many) years ago I had a hack to do this. You can find it in the macros/Union/unionInclude.pl file. Look for the includeRandomProblem() routine. I have no idea if it still works, though, as the mechanisms that is uses have changed considerably since then.

The idea was that you would make one problem file that contained includeRandomProblem(file1,file2,...) where file1, file2, etc. where the file locations of the questions that you wanted to use (randomly) in your homework set. Then you add that problem to your set as many times as you want (up to the number of files listed). If you listed N files and included that in your homework set M times, then you would get M randomly chosen (and ordered) problems out of the N.

Anyway, you can give it a try and see if it still works.
Of course, this makes the statistics page for the homework set rather meaningless. :-)
In reply to Daniele Arcara

Re: Randomizing the order of the questions

by Regina Souza -
I'm not sure what your purpose for the randomization is. I would say it would be easier for students to interact (and for the instructor to answer questions in class) if they were all in the same order. (Maybe this Forum is not the place for it, but I'm really interested in learning more about "how to use" WeBWork problems to get the desired learning to occur.)