WeBWorK Main Forum

Explanation of Gateway Quiz Settings

Explanation of Gateway Quiz Settings

by Jim Fischer -
Number of replies: 1
Ive tried experimenting with different settings, but I still dont get what is the meaning of all settings. Particularly, what does Time Interval for New Test Versions mean? What is the difference between time interval and test time limit?

Here is what I want:

Quiz to be available only during class time say 10AM to 10:50AM. Quiz can be taken at most 2 times. Also, each quiz can only be graded once. Student can use the entire hour should they want to on any attempt. Student can immediately retake quiz for second time should they not like their first score.

The settings for the gateway quizzes that I am using are:
Test Time Limit: 50
Cap Test Time at Set Due Date: Yes
Number of Graded Submissions per Test: 1
Time Interval for New Test Versions: 0=infinite
Number of Tests per Time Interval: 2
Order Problems Randomly: No
Number of Problems per Page: 0=all

Am I doing this correctly?
In reply to Jim Fischer

Re: Explanation of Gateway Quiz Settings

by Gavin LaRose -
Hi Jim,

Sorry for the delay responding to this. The short answer is that I think your setting will work. "Time interval for new test versions" is the way the system figures out what the number of tests means—essentially, the setting "number of tests per time interval" is a rate, and "time interval for new versions" sets the unit for the time.

A good example for how this can work may be our gateway testing. We want students to take the proctored version of the test at most twice per day, but they can make those two attempts any time that we have proctors available (roughly 11am--10pm). For this, we set

Time interval for new versions = 720 minutes
      Number of tests per time interval = 2

(720 minutes = 12 hours, which accomplishes our goals). This is explained with what may or may not be any real clarity on this wiki page.

Best,
Gavin