WeBWorK Main Forum

server migration and showing student's past answers

server migration and showing student's past answers

by Darwyn Cook -
Number of replies: 13
Unfortunately we had to migrate serves mid semester. We did a clean install from an iso image, and copied over our course files, config files, and the database.

After the move our students are not seeing their past answers in the answer blanks, although I can see a history of their past answers. Is there anyway to get their answers to show up in the answer blanks?
In reply to Darwyn Cook

Re: server migration and showing student's past answers

by Michael Gage -
Do they see the past answers that they have entered recently? Since the move?
In reply to Michael Gage

by Darwyn Cook -
That was a good question, wish I had thought to ask it. Anyways, the answer is no. I just tried a problem as a student, logged out, and logged back in, and the answer was gone.

I think I have the settings correct for showing old answers, but maybe not.
In reply to Darwyn Cook

by Darwyn Cook -
I have can show old answers by default set to student - this is set in global.conf and it is also set in simple.conf in the course I am working. When an answer is submitted the answer is shown in the blank after the page refreshes and the problem is graded.
If you migrate away from the page the answer is no longer there when you come back.
In reply to Darwyn Cook

by Davide Cervone -
Maybe this is a silly question, but is the "show old answer" checkbox set to "yes" in the Display Options box at the bottom of the sidebar when a problem is being displayed?
In reply to Davide Cervone

by Darwyn Cook -
Actually the display options box is not there. We are using theme4, I tried theme3 and still no display options box.
In reply to Darwyn Cook

by Davide Cervone -
I couldn't remember which version that changed in. Look in the "User Settings" link in the sidebar. It is on that page now.
In reply to Davide Cervone

by Darwyn Cook -
That shows an option for Mathjax or Images, but not option for show past answers.
In reply to Darwyn Cook

by Michael Gage -
There is an option in course configuration for showing old answers.  This is usually set to student. (Guests do not have answer blanks filled with previous answers once they have moved away from the page.)

In reply to Michael Gage

by Darwyn Cook -
In course configuration it is set to student. Not that it really matters, but it is also set to student in simple.conf. This is happening in all of courses, not sure if I was clear about that earlier.
In reply to Darwyn Cook

by Darwyn Cook -
I've been messing around with this a little bit, and I am guessing there must be a file corrupted somewhere. Is there a way to have git reload all of the files in webwork/pg and webwork/webwork2?
I was tempted to just delete all of the files in those directories, but git maintains files in there too I believe?
In reply to Darwyn Cook

by Alex Jordan -
I'm guessing you recently installed master, which is 2.10 still I think.

In each of those repos, run:
git fetch origin

Then try
git diff origin/master

To see a comparison of what branch you are on with the master branch from GitHub. This might offer some insight.
In reply to Alex Jordan

by Darwyn Cook -
I ended resolving the problems using a hammer approach :) It became clear that I was going to spend more time looking for the source of the issues than it would take to start over, so we just did a fresh install and all is well.