WeBWorK Problems

Java problem for question with image of a 3D graph

Java problem for question with image of a 3D graph

by Murphy Waggoner -
Number of replies: 2
Library/FortLewis/Calc3/14-1-Partial-derivatives/HGM4-14-1-17a-The-partial-derivative/HGM4-14-1-17a-The-partial-derivative.pg

I am working on a Windows 7 machine.  I can't get the above problem to work.  In Firefox and IE I get the popup message below.  On Chrome I get a similar message.

Is there a security setting I can 'fix' to be able to see this problem?  Even so, I suspect students will run into the same issues.  Does anyone use this problem and get it to work?

Attachment New_Picture.png
In reply to Murphy Waggoner

Re: Java problem for question with image of a 3D graph

by Michael Gage -
Your students will have problems.  There is a security setting somewhere in your windows browser that will allow you to view a java applet (after affirming several times that if any thing happens it's your own fault!).  This has to do with java applets and security problems, nothing to do specifically with WeBWorK. 

The latest version of WeBWorK (release/2.11) replaces the javaApplets with 
an HTML5, javascript based substitute. You could probably add the javascript piecemeal but it is probably safer to just move your distribution up to release/2.11 and upgrade the courses.

You can test examples of the HTML5 technology at 
In reply to Michael Gage

Re: Java problem for question with image of a 3D graph

by Michael Gage -
Geoff Goehle wrote the code connecting existing 3d javascript code to the 
LiveGraphics3D.pl file in pg/macros.  The changes were made last May 
You can read further details there.

You don't need to change the problems themselves.

The safest way to upgrade the 3d graphics is still probably to upgrade to release/2.11