WeBWorK Main Forum

Applets not loading after upgrade to 2.11

Applets not loading after upgrade to 2.11

by Tim Alderson -
Number of replies: 3
After upgrade to 2.11, applets fail to load for myself and for students (all worked fine in 2.10).  I believe I followed all steps outlined in the release notes for 2.11.

Problem exists in ww problems that were already in use, as well as for problems in the library browser.

The applet area is simply left as a blank rectangle, with no security warnings etc.   

I can view applets on other ww servers (sample courses etc).

Any help appreciated, as two courses using applet style questions are "live".

T.

In reply to Tim Alderson

Re: Applets not loading after upgrade to 2.11

by Michael Gage -
One possibility might be an incorrect address in the config files somewhere.  Which applets specifically aren't loading? If they are OPL problems you could give paths.

If you us the Developer tools on your browser ( View->Developer->developer tools on Chrome  ) you can get a record of requests made by the browser for loading additional files (including applets) and see if they succeed.

Error messages in the apache error_log might also notify you about a request that was to an incorrect url. 

Out of curiosity does your LibraryBrowser work correctly?  Can you add problems so that they are actually added to the sets? If not that means there is something wrong with the AJAX addresses.   The most likely suspect is that $server_root_url might not be exactly correct.

One last thing -- did you also update the pg software repos when updated the webwork2 repos?

Hope these questions give you some clues as to what to look for.

-- Mike

In reply to Michael Gage

by Tim Alderson -
Thank you for your quick reply Mike. Congratulations again on your AMS Impact Award!

1. Out of curiosity does your LibraryBrowser work correctly?

I have encountered no issues yet. I am able to add problems to sets.

2. -- did you also update the pg software repos when updated the webwork2 repos?

Webwork indicates "ww_version: 2.11 | pg_version: 2.11" in the footer.  Would that mean that we likely updated the PG software repos properly?

3. One possibility might be an incorrect address in the config files somewhere...

The applets are all OPL. One example is
 Library/CSUOhio/appletDemonstrationProblems/graphLimits.pg

Debugging mode on Chrome shows the following error under the "console" tab (I am not sure which tab gives the most pertinent information) :
GET http://localhost/webwork2_files/applets/Graph_Limit.swf net::ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSEDtt_HideSrcTagsRecurs @ wz_tooltip.js:464tt_HideSrcTagsRecurs @ wz_tooltip.js:467tt_HideSrcTagsRecurs @ wz_tooltip.js:467tt_HideSrcTagsRecurs @ wz_tooltip.js:467tt_HideSrcTagsRecurs @ wz_tooltip.js:467tt_HideSrcTagsRecurs @ wz_tooltip.js:467tt_HideSrcTagsRecurs @ wz_tooltip.js:467tt_HideSrcTagsRecurs @ wz_tooltip.js:467tt_HideSrcTagsRecurs @ wz_tooltip.js:467tt_HideSrcTagsRecurs @ wz_tooltip.js:467tt_HideSrcTagsRecurs @ wz_tooltip.js:467tt_HideSrcTagsRecurs @ wz_tooltip.js:467tt_HideSrcTagsRecurs @ wz_tooltip.js:467tt_HideSrcTagsRecurs @ wz_tooltip.js:467tt_HideSrcTagsRecurs @ wz_tooltip.js:467tt_HideSrcTags @ wz_tooltip.js:452
ww_applet_support.js:613 Into safe_applet_initialize for applet Graph_Limit i= 7
ww_applet_support.js:641 Oops, applet is not ready. 5 tries left
ww_applet_support.js:642 Out of safe_applet_initialize for applet Graph_Limit

So, likely a permissions issue, or an incorrect address somewhere?  I will keep digging and will post back.

Thanks,

Tim.
In reply to Tim Alderson

by Tim Alderson -
Thank you for your help. 

It was an address for $server_root_url   that was not correct in site.conf.

Thanks again.

Tim.